Price on 3" model 36

Alex Johnson

Hi everybody, I was looking around for revolvers this afternoon and I found a 3" model 36 S&W on the shelf. I used to have a 2" model 36, but I was kind of wondering what these guns should be selling for. The dealer wants $270 for it, it's tight and it has about 98% blueing. I can't really say that I need another J frame, and probably one with a 3" barrel even less, but it's still kind of a neat gun. I originally found it well looking for a gun for my friend's girlfriend, but I think it's a bit small in size to be a good option for her. Does anybody have one of these?

'Little' guns

I think you'd be doing great if you could get it for $275 OTD. Gun sales are soft right now and Christmas followed by inventory tax in Jan are coming fast. In the past year I've shrunk my guns from 8 3/8" Smiths, and a 7 1/2, and now I have only one 6 1/2 and the rest are 5 1/2,5,3-4s,2-3s and a 2 inch. The 3 inch is a great compromise but while not long enough to develope full velocity it hits well and is accurate. best....dewey

I like 3" 36s. I would try real hard to get it for 250 out the door tho. they seem to vary wildly in price around my area. Have seen cherry one at 175 and 98% go for 300.

Seems to be a lot of nice older ones with few rounds through em. Some folks get em and decide the J isn't fun. Then others, like me, love to shoot em. Anybody gets one of mine will be lookin at a hundred thousand rounder, at least.

Sam

Got a 3" HB Model 36...great little revolver, very good-looking, and a nice shooter. It looks like a Model 13 someone left in the dryer too long. Finish on mine was as close to 100% as they get, and I paid something like $280.

2" vs 3"

I do believe that if'n you do get the 3" gun, you'll like it better than your 2". It will sit better in a IWB holster since the barrel tends to help straighten the gun out a bit. The 2" tends to try to flop out because most of the gun has to stay above the waistband to have easy access. Also, since the sight radius is longer, it makes for more accurate aimed fire, not to mention the velocity boost, reduction in muzzle flip....

We've had this 2" vs 3" debate many times here on TFL.

I'll just leave you with my two cents. I have a three and would never exchange it for a two!

Oh, almost forgot. As for current market value, that's more of a regional thing. I wouldn't be opposed to paying $275 out the door. Heck, after the Brady check and taxes, even $300 isn't so bad if it is a good one.

I purchased my 36 in 1978.

There were two at the hardware store. One regular Chief's Special and the
same thing with a hammer shroud called a "Body Guard". They were both on sale at $98.00. I bought the regular Chief. Should have got them both. Ah, young and stupid. I've regreted leaving that Body Guard at the store for years and years. (This is where I'd say DAMMIT!!, but I won't because I get into enough mod trouble:p) I wonder where that paperwork is that the owner PROMISED me would always stay right there in the store? The store went away years ago.

KR

36-3 inch

I bought a used(so they say) 36 Ladysmith 3 inch in 99% from a dealer for 175 about 2 years ago. Great little gun. Not really any harder to carry than 2 inch, but easier to shoot.

Model 36 Price

Alex, $250. out the door would be a good price. I paid $275. for a cherry nickle plate 36 heavy barrel some time ago.
They are great little revolvers, don't underestimate them.
My first DA handgun was a 37,still have it and love it. ;)

hope this helps :)

3" S&W

I like the 3" model 36. The extra barrel length gives a little better accuracy and the gun is not that much heavier or harder to conceal. The three inchers usually go a little cheaper in my area.
$300. or less would be an average price in good cond.

Have at it-

I have a mdl 37 (the airweight) with a three inch tube, and it's accuracy is more than I'm usually capable of. It was $250 two years ago at a gun show, being packed around by a gal who I noticed long before I saw the revolver for sale ("Priorities, Irish! Er ye' daft, boyo?") I stick mostly to 148-grain wadcutters from Rem. or Win. (710 fps), and sometimes the USA 130-grain (800 fps). The $ seems good, and the fewer numbers of 3-inchers available made mine a "gotta have".
W.I.

I have a pile of J frames, 36 RB, 36 SB, 60, 37 and all have 2" barrels on them. I realize that the 3" may give a little added velocity and that the longer ejector rod makes dumping the empty rounds, more certain. But there is just something about that longer barrel, that just doesn't look quite right, so I have never bought one.

7th

Back