Price for an Enfield No. 1 Mk III

DavidAGO

I was visiting in a new to me gun shop on Friday. They had the aforementioned Enfield on the rack with a $175 AS-IS tag, no magazine, the owner told me that was all that was wrong with it. Bore is fair to poor, does need a good scrubbing.

I don't mind taking a risk now and then, but just did not know if it was a decent price. there is some room to dicker, the owner hinted. Would any of you buy it at or near that price?

David

I wouldn't consider it a good deal. Of course, I got one back when the going rate was $75.

Rifle needs cleaning, mag missing, bore fair to poor? I wouldn't give $175 for it. I realize I'm cheap, and prices today are way over what they ought to be, for everything, but for what you're getting, I think its not a bargain.

Check out how much it will cost to get a replacement magazine (and know that while all the SMLE mags look the same (basically) and any should work, you might have to do some work to get a replacement mag to function properly.

Also be sure NOT to get one of the mags for the .308 models, as these will not work in a .303. The .308 mags have a sharp edged, sloped flat bottom, the .303s have rounded bottom edges.

If you are going to get it, see if you can get the cost of a mag taken off the price, at the least. OR, tell the owner you'll pay $175 for the complete rifle, and let him get the mag and put it in.;)

Also, the bore might be only "fair" but that doesn't automatically mean it won't shoot well enough. I got one, was told the barrel was "shot out", and that rifle put 5rnds of Rem 180gr .303 into an inch and a half at 60yds, from a kneeling position. Told the previous owner that, and he hmmpf'ed and said, must have been the other one he had that was shot out....:D

The "as-is" would have me do a bit of research into the exact problem.
Is it mis-matching?
Is the bore "starred"?
is the rifle "A" stamped?
Is it a "DP"?
for example.

SMLE magazines are going for about $50.00 nowadays & you MUST get one for an SMLE (a.k.a a No1 MkIII or III*) because No 4/No5 Mags wont fit.

How bad is the bore?
Worn (especially worn 2-groove) barrels wont run BT bullets many times, key-holing at as little as 10 Yds. If you plan on using it for a shooter that will play into the equation as 174 & 180 Gr bullets for the .311/,312" bore are largely BT types, but if you can live with 150 Gr FB's then it may not be a problem.

These seem to run between $300 and $400 for nice condition, matching numbers, and with all parts, so I'd pass it up unless you want a parts rifle.

Sounds Right ???

Last year, I sold one that sounds like a match to yours, for $200.00. ... :)

Be Safe !!!

That would be a more than fair price around here (NE Ohio), at least at gun shops (gun shows are SOMETIMES a bit better).

I routinely see BEAT UP Enfields here, sporterized, butchered, missing mags, etc for $300 (or even more).

In fact, the last SMLE I saw in a shop was in a pawn shop a month or 2 ago. It had the military stock cut into a pretty rough looking sporter configuration, the bluing was worn and I think it was missing a part for the rear sight. None of the numbers matched either and the asking price was $399.00!!! And this particular pawn shop is normally very much in line with price on most guns, as they do a large part of their business in guns and have a couple of knowledgeable guys that work there. In fact, I buy a lot of guns from them and find their prices to be fair, so I'm guessing that their price on that Enfield was typical for the local market (it didn't last long at that price).

Bottom line, It would have to be a REALLY rough Enfield before I'd pass on it at $175.00. In fact, I'd love to buy a COUPLE of beater Enfields for that price, if I could find them.

Papershotshells

thanks all for your advice. I will be back by that shop tomorrow, may see if he will take $125 for it and see what happens.

David

Back