Price Estimate for used Gun Safe

shaybo

Inactive
Hey everyone,

My father passed and left me a gun safe. I'd rather sell it than move it and keep it. I'm just not sure exactly what I have and what it might be worth used. I think it's about 20 years old. No wear or anything and it still works (unlocks and locks fine). Would anyone hazard a guess about what I should ask if the buyer will come and take it away themselves? Ballpark is fine - I just don't want to get ripped off.

It measures about 60"x30"x25" and on the inside says it's a "Remington Sportsman 25". I attached a picture.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• safe.JPG
    safe.JPG
    231 KB · Views: 47
Well, a brand new remington 25 gun safe is $1169 from cabellas. So what you ask will be a question of what you want to get out of it and how fast you need it sold. Personally... I'd probably test the waters at about $750... then go lower if I didn't have any interest.

I'd guesstimate lower, at around $450 or so, especially if the buyer has to do the moving.
Probably even less if a gun store or dealer is the buyer.

You will find that 600 lb safes are not exactly a hot item on the used market. I met a shooter who bragged to me about the number of safes she was given, and cracked the combinations!.

I was offered a Government safe for $50.00 and it was delivered to my door. It is a file safe, but I do store parts, scopes, and knives in the thing.

You will get more money if you offer to deliver the thing to the buyer. Even more if you offer to put it in place. I would not do the second as going up stairs with a 600 lb or 800 lb dead weight is dangerous.

As an estimate, take the price of a new and multiply by 75%. Then subtract off the cost of the delivery service. It might end up being a negative number.

Then there are rental companies that rent moving equipment. I do not suggest air inflated tires for moving tall heavy equipment. I suggest solid rubber wheels and masonite floor covering. I had two friends that were brothers in the safe collecting and moving business. The were better at moving safes than they were at flying gliders; what a horror story.

F. Guffey

Call some safe companies and see if they might offer you something for it or at least remove it at no or minimal cost.

Thanks for all the responses!

I actually have one potential buyer, but he didn't name a price, so we'll see how it goes.

Back