Price check Winchester 97 & 12

Cheapshooter

A friend of my son wants to sell a 12 gauge Winchester 97. Well worn, but original, and in working order. Also a Model 12 20 gauge in good shape with the only deterrent to the value being the addition of a Polychoke. He wants $400 for the pair. The 97 being the shotgun I first hunted with when I was a boy I would really like to have one. My dad's old 97 was sold many years ago, so this is a chance at least to have one. The only reason I would have for the Model 12 is just because I don't have a 20 Ga, and what the heck, everybody needs a 20, Right? What say you?

Last edited:
The only question is why didn't you jump on them to begin with? You're not going to see another 97 in that price range and the model 12 or 870 whichever it is would be basically free.

Your OP said two Winchesters, a Model 97 12 gauge and a Model 12 20 gauge.
You then referred to an 870 20 gauge. Please clarify. :confused: A Model 12 is usually more valuable than a Model 1897 in the same condition. A properly functioning Model 12 20 gauge may range in value from roughly $450 to $1,250 plus or minus adjustments for various Winchester or after-market options/accessories. A properly functioning Model 1897 12 gauge may range in value from $150 to $1,000 or more. These value ranges assume no upgrades such as a very costly custom feathered crotch walnut buttstock. One more thing: If the "Polychoke" is a non-factory Cutts compensator, the value of the gun is 50% lower. If the factory barrel has a choke marked on the barrel, then a Cutts compensator was not factory installed. If there is no choke marked on the barrel, then the a Cutts compensator adds 25% to the value of the gun. This information comes from the 2011 Blue Book of Gun Values.

Last edited:
Corrected my mistake. The 20 ga. is a model 12. I haven't seen them as yet, but a dealer has told the seller the add on choke takes away some of the value of the gun.
I'm not a wheeler dealer trying to make buys, and trades for fun and profit. Just would like a 97 Winchester, and this deal looks like one comes with what could be a decent little squirrel gun for little if any more money.

UPDATE

My son dropped the two shotguns off this morning for me to look at. Just so happens I was going to tge range today, so I also got a chance to try them
The Model 12 20 ga. Has about 50% original metal finish. The stock looks very good with no obvious cracks, or gouges. There is some finish wear under a slip on recoil that looks like It has been there a long time. The receiver shows pitting on the top against the wrist of the stock. Probably many years of sweaty hands holding It there. The choke is an aftermarket add on as the barrel is marked mod. The bore is very good, mirror bright. Functions perfectly, and shoots good
The Model 97 has very little original metal finish, but is all original. The wood finish is very good with only a couple small dings and scratches. Also the same slip on pad wear.What looks like a very fine hairline crack on the wrist, but hard to tell from a tiny scratch. Bore is also very good, and mirror bright. Shoots good, but weak on ejection. Probably something not too hard to fix.

Not being an expert on shotguns, especially antique shotguns, something looked different from the ole' 97 of my youth of more than 50 years ago. A ring around the front of the receiver, a pin through the front of the magazine tube, and a magazine tube that turns, and slides forward. I figured It out. It's a take down.
Being interested mostly in the mod 97, I really didn't pay much attention to the model 12 until just now. It to is a take down!
So, considering the descriptions I have given, I'm think $400 for the pair ain't too bad.

P.S.
After looking into It, and not being all that familiar with the model 12, am I right assuming all model 12's take down in that method?

Last edited:
Winchester Model 1897 12 ga approx. value

Can anyone help me with an approx. value of my Winchester Model 1897 12 ga serial #388**
I am attaching pictures for reference of condition which I think is excellent.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20141002_141928.jpg
    20141002_141928.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 20141002_144739.jpg
    20141002_144739.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 20141002_151354.jpg
    20141002_151354.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 35
i may be wrong, but it looks like a total refinish. please post better pic,s of the markings on the barrel and slide op rod. eastbank.

Definitely a refinish.
The screw holes are 'egged' out.
That happens only when someone uses a wheel to polish the receiver.

All model 12's are takedowns. The ones that aren't are Model 25's.
I learned that as I started looking more into them.
The ejection problem with the 97 was a broken ejector spring. Easy fix, and it functions just fine now.
Now contemplating sending the barrel off to have it threaded for choke tubes. Most dealers and collectors I have talked to say it won't affect the value since the barrel has already been cut to 26".
Some day I might even have it purdied up with a nice bright reblue.:D

Back