Price check, S&W Model 27 3 1/2 inch

JRiggs

Hi,
I have come across a great looking Model 27 .357 Mag revolver with a 3 1/2 inch barrel. I believe it may be unfired, because the end of the cylinder only has slight rings on every other chamber. This indicates factory test fire. The piece was made in 1969. Just one slight problem, the revolver was stored in a holster, and has a VERY slight pit/rust spot about half the size of an eraserhead on the cylinder, hardly noticeable at all. Other than that, the blueing is just beautiful, and the gun is tight as Ive ever felt. It has the original wood service grips, which are also like new. Is $400.00 a little steep, or should I go for it?
Thanks for your comments.

JRiggs,
I'll go out on a limb and say that is a little steep. In the condition you describe, $350 should be about right. The blemish on the cylinder will lower the value slightly. You may want to look into the Book of Gun Values. It will give you a ballpark figure. However, a 3 1/2" M27 would be fairly unique. I have only heard of 4,5,6, and 8 3/8" barrels on M27s.

It is one of the more rare barrel lengths but with the condition I would say pass. I bought my 6.5" 27 for $375 with the wood case in 99% condition.

If I manage to talk the dealer down, is there any way to remove that rust spot and possibly cover it over? I may be able to rub it out and cover it with cold blue. Any opinions on that? thanks again

Back