Price check, register 3...

David Scott

CDNN has lightweight Taurus 2.5" snubbies in .45 Colt for $269. They have the ported barrel and ribber grips. This seems a modest price for the ability to introduce a carjacker's spleen to five BIG ol' hunks of lead. I was thinking of getting one as an easy-access cab gun for the F250, so I don't have to unholster my IWB 9mm every time I get in. Any comments from experienced Tauri-shooters on the price/value relationship, or even on a good .45 Colt defensive load? Would an all-lead SWC/HP be the way to go?

They didn't have the .44 Special in the catalog, so I'd have to shop. The only other caliber listed is .41 Magnum, same price.

If you're wanting a car gun, you're going to be shooting inside the car, right? If the attacker is at the driver's window, the weapon will be relatively near your face, right? Imagine what the gases and debris coming from those ports will do to your complexion.

* * * NO .41MAG plesae. * * *

Say David-

I'd forget about the .41. I have a few and the idea of that thing going off 2/3 feet from my unprotected ears and head is a no brainer, which is what you'd have left.

You can find a S&W M24/624 3" .44SPL that is my preferred glovebox gun.FWIW.....dewey

Yow, Buzz, excellent point about the ports. No matter what gun is fired in a pickup truck cab, it's going to be a hearing problem, but no need to add flaming gases in the face to that.

GET IT!

If I had the extra money, I'd jump at a Taurus 45LC snubbie for that price. Although I usually recommend 44's over 45's for most people, I would do so only if they can get the 44 in a Magnum rated weapon. That's where the versatility comes in. Most of your 44 snubbies are rated in 44 special only. If choosing between 44 special and 45LC (with no magnums to factor), I think I would opt for 45LC, unless finding factory shotshells was a priority. I wouldn't worry about the small possibility of some hot gasses coming out of the porting, should you use it in self defense. If I was you, I would go for it.

First, there's no "small possibility" of gasses coming out of the ports. It's 100% guaranteed, unless of course you get a squib, in which case you've got other issues. ;)

Second, there's no reason in the world to carry a firearm that has a serious chance of causing severe damage to you, if you are in close quarters shooting. Those "hot gasses" are perfectly capable of tearing through flesh or blinding you. Not something I want to be worried about.

Back