Price Check Please..

Point Blank

I am determined to sell my S+W 629-1 .44 Magnum and am asking for a reasonable price i should shoot for.It is in very good condition and shot very seldom.It has a 6" barrel,checkered thumb cocker(?),fully adjustable rear sights.I also have a S+W leather holster thats not even broke in yet also.I have searched gunbroker,etc. but only see newer models.Overall in very good condition.Can anyone ballpark this for me please?? I will be heading to local gunstore in a few days and would like to be semi prepared.Thanks for any replies!!

Point Blank,

As a general rule of thumb, I think most of our
viewer's here at TFL go by the old theory that
a used, in LNIB condition S&W N-frame revolver should sell
at right around the $400.00 mark. There are some
exceptions though, of which and example would be
a five screw S&W model 29 that has pinned barrel
and recessed chamber's.

But, as my late father taught me "Buy at the lowest price possible, and sell for the most
you can get". So with that said, I would most
likely bump it up $50.00; to a total of $450.00.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.
MOLON LABE!!!

I really appreciate your help!!!! Without knowing what a recessed chamber (heard term before) looked like,or a pinned barrel (heard of that too) i assume five screws means it should have five screws?? Aww,forget it!! Thanks so much for getting me close!! P.S. Them darn S+W's held their value over the years.

For what its worth i am looking at it counting screws.On the right hand side there are two small screws on the frame above the trigger.On the left hand side there is one slightly bigger screw that holds thumb knob (knob that releases cylinder) to frame.Then there is one small screw that holds grip on to frame,and last,two screws that hold rear sight down,and one on right hand sight near back..adjustment screws??? So not including any screws for the sights, mine has 4.

Point...........A five screw would have four screws holding the side plate on (right side) One under the grip, one up by the hammer and two along the bottom. The fifth screw goes into the frame bottom from just ahead of the trigger guard. You have a three screw.

Pinned barrel......a little pin goes through the frame from one side tother. Just below the raised ramp on top of the barrel, just ahead of the cylinder. It holds the barrel from turning. It just kisses the barrel where it is inside the frame.

Recessed cylinder. If loaded, can you see all of the cartridge rims? If the rims fit into recesses in the cylinder then you have recessed (or counterbored) cylinder, if whole rim sticks out you don't. Recessed cylinders were dropped around 1982 for most of the line.

Or....we go by the model and mod #s. 629-1 came out in 82 and did not have recessed cylinder. First number being a 6 indicates stainless steel which precludes more than three significant screws. 82 or later also precludes more than three screw.

Hope this helps, Sam

Yes it did,thanks for the help.I am off to the market to see what i will get offered for it.I always see them phrases (pinned barrel + recessed cylinder) used here and wondered what they meant,thanks for the imformation.

Back