Price check on used S&W 617 4" revolver

grapeshad

Found a 617 in my shop for 359.99. Gun looks a little dirty around the cylinder face but other than that it seems clean. I'm sort of new to revolvers...is there anything that I should look for or test when checking one out? How's that price?

One more thing...I noticed that some people have said that early versions of the 10 shot model have some problems...this one is marked 617-4.....is that a later model?

Personally, I would be on that "like white on rice".:D There was a private seller at the last show asking $425. Had I not spent my budget already, I would've bought his.

The early runs had aluminum cylinders, like the 317. I don't think it was a 'problem', it just seems out-of-place on a full-size steel gun. AFAIK, the stainless 617 was produced with steel cylinders from the beginning.

If you decide not to get it, can you e-mail me with the details?:)

Little high. I have a 617-8, 6inch full lugged, 10 shot
lnib for less then that. Check out the full sale section.
ladr

ladr, the 4-inchers sell for more than the 6-inchers.

Not as many four's were made, and they are quite desireable to many shooters.

The 4's are normally found for around $400 or so, so anything less is a great deal (as long as the gun is in great shape).

grapeshad, The discoloration on the front of the cylinder is completely normal, and is only cosmetic.

Here is a link to some more revolver-shopping-tips.

http://216.88.255.50/ubb/Forum29/HTML/000656.html

:)
-Kframe

ladr, I love my M18.
I got it about 3-4yrs ago for $325 +6.5%tx.
The shop at which I bought it had two others.
Another for $325, and one for $425. (I remember cause I sometimes take notes when I go gunshopping and found this in my papers.)

I ought to give 'em a call, I know up to 6 mo.s ago they still had two M18's, but different ones.

Anyway, as much as I like the M18 and my M17's, I totally covet the 4" M617.
I'd buy one ASAP if one came around my parts, but they just don't.
?
Oh well, mebbe pick up 'nother M18.
:)
-Kframe

I have just bought a Model 17 .22LR 6in blue with walnut grips--cost US$350(in Queensland)--as new and shoots excellently.Also has two speedloaders--hadn't seen these for a .22 before. It's every bit as much fun as my Browning Medallist.The best thing is,that as a trainer it is perfect because it is a full K Frame size,and I don't have to reload for it.

Back