Price check on Broomhandle Mauser

Justin

Recently I was offered a well-worn Broomhandle Mauser for what I consider to be an excellent price.
I've purchased a firearm from this person before, and he gave me a really good deal.

I haven't seen the gun, but it was described as having some pitting, most of the rifling is worn away, but all the numbers are matching.

What really sucks is that I don't think I have the cash on hand. So I'm afraid that even if it is a great deal I can't do anything about it. urgh.

At any rate, what is one of these going for these days?
As such, is this the sort of thing that I should go sell plasma in order to finance it?

Thanks for your help.

This totally depends on condition and version

C-96 Mausers (Broomhandle) come in many varieties and depending on condition can range from $250 - $350 for a worn out, beat up core to around $500 for a refinshed, shooter grade gun (like from Mentor Arms or EPCO) to thousands of $$$ for original, non-refinished or re-blued guns in good to excellent condition. These are very collectable guns as they are a meaningful piece of firearm history. The Broomhandle is widely regarded as the first "practical" semi-auto pistol and was used by many officers in combat as their personal firearm in the early part of the 20th century. Winston Churchill used one in the Boer War and it reportedly saved his life. Its a great pistol. I've got a refinished model in 9MM, but most were made in .30 Mauser.

What condition is the one your looking to buy?

Pilot

Interarms here in North Carolina is selling Broomhandles in the condition you describe (basically worn out, but ready to be rebuilt) for around $400.

When I say worn out, I mean that the bore is smooth or badly pitted and needs to be relined, but the gun is otherwise sound and safe. Be sure to check the frame behind the bolt stop - if it's cracked or bent, the firearm is unsafe and Mentor won't rebuild it for you.

A full rebuild, plus blueing, runs around $350 depending on how many parts are needed.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

The closest match so far is what Strayhorn said.
This firearm is pitted and worn, but operational.
I didn't know that there was anyone out there who rebuilt these things.
What all does that entail?

Replacing any worn parts, install barrel liner and refinish. Mine looked and shot like a brand new pistol.

What sort of effect would these kinds of refurbishments have on the collector value?
Would it be possible to pick up an extra barrel or receiver to use when shooting?

Caliban,

Anything more than repalcing worn springs on a C-96 will reduce its collector value. The refinshed/refurbished guns are mainly shooters that don't have a lot of collector value. If you want a collectable piece, not a shooter, buy a fully original. I'd get some advice from Kyrie Ellis over at the Mauser Forum at Tuco's before I'd go that route. Good luck!

Pilot

Another note:

Kyriellis has a nice guide to buying used Broomhandles in the rec.guns FAQ. Is the rec.guns website back up? I haven't been able to get into it for a week now.

Anyway, his guide is what I used to look over a crateload of guns before I found one that looked promising for a rebuild.

As others have noted, rebuilds have little, if any, collector value. But Mentor Arms will give you a safe shooter to enjoy.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

A few years ago in the Dixie catalogue they had a couple 1930 commercials that had been purchased and then forgotten. Virtually perfect! As I recall they were asking $1000. Wish I had bought them both.

Cool!
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.
Of course, this all just makes me want the thing even more.
*sigh*

I have a Mauser for which I spent too much, and I'm trying to turn it into a usable shooter. I bought a remanufactured upper from Numrich, but my gun as a protrusion on the front of the frame (the old upper has about a 3/8" wide x 1/16" deep grove on the underside of the front of the barrel extension to accommodate it). If I don't 'do' anything to the reman upper I should be able to return it ($233). What is the recommended course of action?

Back