Price check on a used Ranch

Mercator

I've been holding out for a used Mini-14 for several months now, and one finally came into my local dealer:

Ranch model, wood stocks, blued finish, "upgraded" peep sight (not stock), Weaver rings, one 5 rnd mag, no visible defects. Price = $375.

The same gun, with stock equipment, costs $550 at this store. In suburban D.C., prices are very high.

Should I jump on this now, or wait until I can afford it new? Ideally, I would like the synthetic version, but this seems like a deal too good to pass up.

Thanks

--Mercator

[This message has been edited by Mercator (edited February 05, 2000).]

Taking into account the replacement rear sight (worth around $25), it isn't too bad of a deal. NIB Ruger RR are going for somewhere around $460 or so after Ruger's recent price increase. I haven't seen a used RR go for less than $325 around here in Florida recently, and that's without the good rear sight.

Unless you are completely sold on the mini-14, I'd avoid it like the plague. These rifles have so-so accuracy (5" or so at 100yd). Get an AR15 even if it costs a bit more money. They can be made to be as handy as the Mini-14 and they are *much* more accurate.

Mercator, nix the mini-14. It might look cool but Pbash is correct, you'll probably be very disappointed in its accuracy. If it's a money issue, for about the same price you can buy a brand new Savage FP tactical, in .223, that will shoot 1/2"MOA out of the box. It's not as "cool" looking but accuracy wise it's WAY BETTER!!!

I agree with slymule and pbash about accuracy. Also, the Mini-14 suffers the serious political liability of having come from Bill Ruger.

Well, despite the criticism, I went ahead and got the gun. I've decided to see for myself about the accuracy. I don't need competition accuracy--it will be a truck gun for porcupines and skunks-and I don't believe it was designed for much more than that.

Mr. Roberson-My family owns many Rugers and will own many more in the future. I don't see any "political liability" issues in regards to buying this rifle. Much of the rumors that I've read here and on other boards tend to take on a life of their own, without pursuing the facts, and end up being hearsay.

Sorry for the Ruger Valentine, but my original question was new vs. used, not "is Ruger a villain"

Thanks for the helpful advice Gino.

--Mercator

Back