Price check and advice on Ruger Security-Six

I've come upon an older Ruger Security-Six in .357 Magnum with an absolutely gorgeous blued-finish and low-profile adjutable sights. The gun has a red insert front blade and stock wood grips. Unfortunately, the gun was left to sit in a garage for several years in one of those zipper foam cases and rust has formed underneath the trigger guard, on the cylinder, inside the chambers of the cylinder and a few tiny spots on the exterior of the barrel.

I used some Hoppes No. 9 to remove the exterior rust and there is some light pitting on the cylinder and underneath the trigger guard. The bore was dirty but seemed to be the only part of the gun that had ever been cared for and was rust-free.

What is the value of this gun as-is? If I have the gun refinished will I lower the value any? Can anybody recommend someone in the North Texas area who can do a nice bluing job comparable to the one that was on the revolver?

I know zip about revolvers especially as regards maintenance. My current plans for it are to clean it thoroughly and wipe it down in CLP and leave it as-is.

Not to get too trite, but it's worth what it will sell for.

Impossible to give firm numbers without seeing it. Having said that, I think I personally would consider buying this revolver for around $100-125, but then I don't need it. Others would likely go higher. I wouldn't be surprised to find this revolver (cleaned up) in some gun stores with a price tag as high as $250, but I'd never pay it and I bet most TFLers are with me on that.

If a friend were trying to buy it, I would tell him to pay no more than $150. Impossible to say without seeing it, but sounds like it would be a fair deal for everybody at $150.

I can't imagine you'd hurt the value of the thing by rebluing it. You haven't mentioned anything in your description that would indicate collectability. Sorry, don't know any 'smiths over in Tejas.

Good luck with it!

As is I would pay up to $200 for the gun. They are beginning to be more appreciated for their extreme durability and prices for good ones are creeping up. The GP-100 guns are fine pieces but also much bigger and heavier--not nearly as handy.

I am very familiar with these guns, as my agency issued them for years and having taken the Ruger armorer's course. As to refinishing, you can ship directly to Ruger without going through an FFL. I have sent several in and you will get a very good job for around $40 or so, plus a complete check-out. I think you will be very pleased with the results.

I have only been carrying Ruger 'Sixes' on a daily basis for 20 years now--so I am probably biased.:cool:

Depending on how it cleaned up, $150 - $200 sounds about right. I like to think of the Security-Six as a double action Vaquero. And I love Vaqueros. :)

Greeting's Again;

One of the most beautiful handguns I've ever owned
was a 4" barrel stainless Ruger Security-Six, that
I bought NIB around 1980. It came stock with factory Pachmayr grips. Dog'on, wish I had it back. Seems like I gave $269.00 + tax for that
rascal. Sold it to a friend that needed a firearm
for self protection. Dumb thing too do wasn't it?

Regards,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

How much does a Ruger Security Six weigh? I'm thinking about looking for one to supplement my GP100 and SP101, if the weight is significantly less than the GP100. I love the Rugers, but I'm finding them a bit heavy for some CCW options.

I have had a stainless 4" one for about 25 years. It was one of my first guns (that I bought rather than got from my Dad), and was the gun I used when I was involved with law enforcement. It would be a nice gun to have, and is probably worth (in dollars only) about $150-200 or so.

Tyro, if memory serves me correctly, I believe that a 4" Ruger Security-Six weigh's in at 34
ozs.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

The Security Six is a great gun. Some early models had a discontinued butt profile and you have to cut the backstrap quite a bit to put aftermarket grips on them. Not sure if this has already been mentioned. L

Greeting's Again Friends,

In closing, I'd like to had that I recently had
the opportunity to inspect a 4" stainless Ruger
Security-Six that been been professionally round-
butted. This is a beautiful little gem, and currently resides in the hands of our local P.D.
rangemaster.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

View

Heres mine...a little unusal but a great shooter. My local dealer her in Hawaii has 2 nice 4" SS Security Sixes available at the moment @ $250. :cool:

Back