price check -- 686 3"

LBC

Found a S&W 686-5 (?) that is a 7-shot with a 3" full underlug barrel, pinned front black sight with red ramp insert. Round butt with Hogue black rubber pebblegrain monogrip. Appears LNIB. Dealer is asking. $429.99. Is this a fair price? is this a good gun?

Forgot you asked is the 686 a good gun? Probably the best wheel gun ever made (it's in the Distinguished Combat Magnum series). I don't know a better .357... that's why I own a couple.;)

It's definitely a 3" barrel. :) That's what caught my eye. This dealer has some very good used revolvers there. A S&W 19-4 (?), pinned and recessed, black on black sights, square butt, about 90-95% for $330. A Model 65 3" HB and a Model 13 3" HB, forget the prices. And a Model 65 3" HB that (as it turns out) my gunsmith bobbed the hammer, did a trigger job, and installed a dovetailed AO big dot tritium front sight. No price on that yet.
And thanks for the link, C.R. Sam. You are always a wealth of information.

bountyh, Yeah, I've got a 686-4 4". Love it. That's why I'm considering a "stablemate." I've got a 642 and a Model 19 2.5".
I'm torn between seeking a Model 66 2.5", 3", or 4", or a Model 19 4", or this Model 686. Decision, decisions...

Back