Press Release: Marlin Buys H&R

Guyon

Just found this on the Marlin website. At a gunshow last weekend, I almost picked up one of these H&R shotguns. It was $85 in used/excellent condition. I didn't get it though because I didn't know anything about the quality of Harrington & Richardson firearms.

Are they decent guns? Was that a good price?

Press Release follows:
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/press.html

November 10, 2000

Marlin Buys H&R 1871

The Marlin Firearms Company of North Haven, Connecticut, has purchased the assets of H&R 1871, Inc., of Gardner,
Massachusetts, according to Robert Behn, Marlin President. The new company, to be known as H&R 1871, LLC, is the
world's largest manufacturer of single shot, break-action shotguns and rifles. They are sold under the brand names Harrington
& Richardson, New England Firearms and Wesson & Harrington. Marlin did not purchase the handgun operation, which
ceased production in 1999.

Production of H&R products will continue at the Gardner plant, and no significant changes in current top management are
anticipated.

Marlin Chairman, Frank Kenna III, commenting on the acquisition, stated: "H&R is the kind of solid, reputable company that
we continue to actively pursue in order to solidify and expand our position in the industry."

H&R has been making good, utility shotguns for over a century. My first shotgun, also Pop's first shotgun, was a ca 1920s 16 ga H&R.

Marlin and H&R are both class acts for service, durability,and longevity.

My first firearm that I really put any use into was a 20 ga H&R "Topper, Jr."

My brothers claim they saw my dad put off multiple shots at running rabbit with that gun.

I liked it a lot, but it kicked like a mule.

My first shotgun was a Topper 12 gauge. My dad loved the fact that I could outshoot his buds with it at informal clay shoots. I didn't know its recoil was so stout until I got to use a BPS some years later. Semi feel like I am shooting squib loads compared to the Topper. But for hunting when carry is involved, the light weight is nice.

I had an H&R 12 ga for over 10 yrs. Worked as advertised at all times. Nothing fancy, but functional. I think they make a good fit for Marlin.

Back