President to be given power to shut off internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
This bill hasn't even been assigned a number yet. I found a copy on senate.gov

I figure it's got quite a ways to go before any action can be taken on it.

Simeon

Why not?

I mean, since former Vice President Al Gore invented the internet, it only makes sense that the President should be able to turn it off......Right:confused:

The Washington times and other sources are also talking about this bill.

They are also pushing a tax on right wing websites, popularly called the "Drudge Tax", with the money to be redistributed to the friendlier left wing print media.

Want to back that assertion up with some evidence?

Does he really need to? Shut off the internet :)

Just more fear tactics for the masses to fret over.

I dont read extreme right or left wing stuff. They got it all skewed and I dont go for mis information, she isnt one I date....

Does he really need to? Shut off the internet

Just more fear tactics for the masses to fret over.

I dont read extreme right or left wing stuff. They got it all skewed and I dont go for mis information, she isnt one I date....

If it's that simple, it ought to be easy to prove false. Right?

Does he really need to? Shut off the internet
So, you don't think it is possible for the US government to shutoff the internet?

I hate to break it to you, but the US government VERY tightly controls the infrastructure on which the internet runs. They can shut it down as easily as they can shut down GPS.

This is scary b/c it is similar to the foreign firearms import bans. They gave the domestic suppliers so many perks out of the deal(immunity from litigation in this case) that they will be on board. When the .gov LEOs AND the domestic industry reps BOTH get on board something like this it is easy to pass.

Its seems to me that our government sure wants to control a whole lot of things now days.... Give up all freedom in the name of protection, right! We are on a slippery slope my friends.

Most Americans know much more about there local and state sports than what laws are being passed in our names.....

Games won or lost on a stadium field probably wont change your life... The crap they have been passing in DC will.

We all bear responsibility to know what is being done in our names.

Last edited:
Actually, I believe what Al Gore was "trying" to say was that he was very much involved with approving the "funding" of the original version of the internet. Our politicians sometimes get alittle carried away with their experiences as we all know. It was originally designed for military and government use to improve their inter-communications. So....I believe that there would be a way for the government to effectively shut down or at least assert more control over its usage. Other contries not only have the ability, but actually do strongly restrict its access within their borders.

Well, thats my 2 cents worth anyway.

This is simple fear mongering. And I know mods will be killing this thread and deleting it shortly.

Do a little research my friend and you will find a lot of truth contrary to your opinion, all of it may not be germaine to this website or this posting.

Many good nations in history had laws that prohibited bad things and yet horrible crimes against people have occured in the names of various governments around the world; Stalin, Mao and others.

All I am stating is it is a slippery slope and we have a responsibility to know what laws are being passed in our names. We have a responsibility as citizens to have a informed opinion, it is a duty we owe to ourselves our families and our country.

Nothing is wrong with sports, I simply used it to illustrate a point.

Do I need to say that I really, really dislike conspiracy theories?

When I see an article that has been published on Drudge, WND or PrisonPlanet, I have a very hard time simply killing the thread without any explanation whatsoever.

But I try to be reasonable. So....

I hope I see a link to the supposed legislation. Real quick.

I hope I see a link to the supposed legislation. Real quick.

Here's a one page summary:

http://hsgac.senate.gov/public/inde...Store_id=40505559-aba2-4e22-b618-7dd0139fa20f

and the full text:

http://hsgac.senate.gov/public/inde...Store_id=4ee63497-ca5b-4a4b-9bba-04b7f4cb0123

As you can see this is from senate.gov.

As I mentioned above, the bill doesn't have a number yet and I haven't been able to find any way of tracking it's progress.

Simeon

P.S. I in the process of reading all 197 pages to see what it actually says.s

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back