prepper / last ditch flare gun inserts / conversions

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonrichter

Out of sheer prepperish curiosity (neither legal nor available where I live, anyway...):...has anybody ever actually tried one of these flare-gun-to-shot / pistol caliber conversions? Are they more a gimmick or (at least limited) useful? Some of these inserts are even smoothbore, does that make sense for any ammunition other than shot?

What does it do? Make it a one-shot, short-barreled 12 gauge? I just don't see the point, given that you would register it on a Form 1.

The idea apparently is to have some kind of weapon where firearms are not allowed.
Maybe for boat owners to have a way to carry a weapon that doesn't look like one.
But, as you say, it's hardly ideal.
Especially having to keep the flare gun and the ammo separated so as not risk being arrested for possession of an illegal firearm.
Gotta' think that a cutlass might be more suitable aboard a boat.
Or maybe, if a firearm is desired, a flintlock or percussion pistol.
Either should better accessorize the teak floors.

Make it a one-shot, short-barreled 12 gauge?

I reckon a 12 gauge would break either the breech or the shooters wrist or both... The models I have seen start with .410 bore and go down to .38, 9mm or even .22 and such...

Several years ago I bought a 26.5 mm Model VZ44 Czech Polish Flare Gun. I seem to recall it was about fifty bucks. It was in nice shape and did not require an FFL. I also acquired an insert tube so it will fire the .12 gauge flare which is suitable for the less expensive flares you can find in Walmart. It is not suitable for .12 gauge shotgun shells. I do have some of the correct 26.5 mm parachute flares, but they are expensive.

As time went on I acquired both the .22 sub-caliber insert barrel and the .410/.45 Colt insert barrel. Once you stick either of these sub-caliber insert barrels, then by law it must be considered a firearm. None of these sub-caliber inserts require and FFL. Therefore, it is possible to end up with a firearm and never have to undergo a background check. It is a single shot and probably not much of a terror threat.

Shooting the flares are nice and great for the 4th of July. I do live on a large lake, so they can be carried if needed on my boats.

I think there is also a .38 Special sub-caliber insert available on the market.

The .22 sub-caliber insert works pretty good an reasonably accurate; although the flare gun has no sights. Firing the .410 gives a pretty good spread at about 15 yards, and the pattern is not bad. The .45 Colt rounds tumble and put some pretty nasty holes in the target paper.

The recoil is not bad. I am not a prepper and think there are better choices for a survivalist or prepper. In my opinion, the best round would be the 3 inch .410 for snakes and small game.

Last edited:
What does it do? Make it a one-shot, short-barreled 12 gauge? I just don't see the point, given that you would register it on a Form 1.

No Form 1 here, skans. Herr Richter lives in Austria.

I'm not really sure they make much sense.

Steel surplus flareguns have climbed to at least $75, and that's for a steal. Many of them are $100+. The insert is at least $50.

And even then, I'd still be concerned about safety. Many flares have no gunpowder and only use the primer to launch the projectile. How much are they going to overbuild a flaregun when a flare generates almost no pressure, and heavy use constitutes as many as several shots?

In America, at least, you might as well just buy a Hi Point for about the same price, or a black powder revolver if you worried about paperwork.

The use of a smoothbore adapter results in the creation of an AOW.

a practical question on the issue: Isn't it the case that in such a combo, the only force he flare gun itself has to withstand is the blowback movement of the cartridge bottom towards the breech? I mean the strength of the barrel itself shouldn't matter because the gas pressure is anyway handled by the inserted adapter...? Or do I neglect any other factors here?

They are made for 12 ga flares in your 26.5mm flare gun. The 12 ga adapter WILL NOT allow you to fire live 12 ga ammunition out of the 26.5mm flare gun.
I have a bunch of mil surplus flare guns from a decade ago when they were cheap. I just got one of each insert for poos and giggles.
I have them in 45/410, 22 and 38.
http://runwaysubcal.com/

Yes, I hope I made that clear in my above post. You do not shoot .12 gauge shotgun shells. You can use an adapter to shoot the .12 gauge flares. A whole different thing.

I have fired plenty of .22, 3" .410 shells and .45 Colt rounds without a hitch. The polish flare gun is not a hand held object. The recoil is actually rather mild even with the .410/.45 Colt ammunition.

I'd rather just have a Glock 31 set up to shoot .40 S&W, .357 Sig, 9mm, and .22 lr.

And get a 12 gauge pump/semi-auto and rifle in a good common cartridge.

And if I want flares, just get the 12 gauge variety.

Deaf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back