Preparing new bullet casting molds

I prepped a mold on Tuesday.

Basically, use some sort of cleaner to get the milling oil off, then add a thin layer of carbon to help the bullets drop free.

I accomplished this with some spray brake cleaner and a few matches. Yesterday, I ditched the matches for Frankford Arsenal's Drop Out Bullet Mold Release Agent. It's much easier and ensures complete coverage.

Once I got my mold to optimal temps, brand new cast beauties dropped right out even without shaking.

I scrub em good with dawn & old tooth brush ,then boil em for 5min take out put em handles then heat em up on a hot plate , no smokin or nuttin !! if the bullets hangs a little I spin a bullet in a cold mold with a little fine lappin compound !. Aluminum get comet cleaner for compound.

The Great Dane

Be careful with the spray graphite a good coat will drop dia. a .001 or 2 accordingly .

My $.02 worth

GP100man, Thanks for the tip. I measured a few of 'em after using graphite and they're .452. We'll see how they look after sizing.

I'll definately be mindful of overcoating the molds from now on.

Thanks again.

The way I do it is to degrease with Gumout carb cleaner and an old toothbrush. Let dry and bake at 400 degrees for 4 hours to cure the metal (especially with new Lyman moulds). Spray lightly with Midway Drop Out mould release and cast until you get good bullets. Cast good bullets until you run out of alloy or get tired and let the mould air cool. If you aren't going to cast again the next day coat the mould with SAE 30 non detergent motor oil and wrap in doulble thickness wax paper.

Back