Premium for Rare Variation Model 17?

Randy63

Hello all,
I recently posted a question about a 4" model 17 without the full lug vs. the model 18. Upon closer inspection the gun in question is a 17-6 model without the full lug. The Standard Catalog of S & W states that only some of the very early 17-6's were built this way. The gun in question is LNIB with all the paperwork. The dealer who has it is notorious for his high prices. He wants $450 out the door for it. He won't take a dime less. I want the gun but hate paying too much for it. I know that ultimately its my money and my decision. What would you guys do?

Randy

If it is truly Like New in box.....he is only bout 60 bucks high. Boils down to, how badly do you want it. ??

Sam

If it's truly collectable, and you intend to keep it that way, then maybe you would be alright. But, I don't know too many of the recently produced blued-steel Smiths that are. If you want a shooter, save $150 or so by looking for the M18. You can always have a smith cut the front ramp to patridge configuration, if that's what's moving you toward that M17.

That is more than I would like to give for a shooter. As a collector, it would be a matter of how much you wanted it.

The Henry Bowman Special is the greatest .22 pistol there is (that is my broad brush, arrogant opinion). Pay whatever they want for it.

Back