• Rifle

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Shotgun (slugs or buckshot)

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Revolver

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Semi-automatic pistol

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Hand cannon (e.g., T/C Contender, XP-100)

• Traditional muzzle loader (e.g., flintlock)

• Modern muzzle loader (e.g., inline)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Legionnaire

So what's your favorite implement for going after whitetail? Do you hunt all the available seasons, just the regular season, or just the specialty seasons?

(Got your bow in tune, your rifle sighted it, and/or your black powder load worked up yet?)

I hunt with bow (PSE compound), rifle (any one of several), revolver (Ruger SRH), and hand cannon (.243 Encore) . . . but I have to say that archery is my favorite season.

I enjoy hunting with an old recurve bow I found in my attic more than anything else I've ever hunted with. All the markings were gone when I stripped the camo paint off, even though I was very careful. It's about 55# at 28" and shoots wherever I look, so I don't really care what it is. I also hunt with a Rem. 700 Mtn. ine 7-08.

I like the bow, Alpine Teton light, set at 65#, firing around 300 fps. If I ain't hunting white tails with that its with my Remington 700 mtn rifle in .243

Thunder

Any of 3 rifles, a Mossberg 500,a Ruger SBH in .44mag, a T/C Grey Hawk in .50 for BP season, and a Bear Whitetail Legend at 60-65# are my deer hunting choices. I've got my rifles and loads ready (both smokeless and BP) and I've loaded up a short range buckshot load (required in certain areas here),but I haven't sighted in my pins yet for the bow season.

Scouter27, do you go to Marlintalk? I would prefer a rifle. I haven't gone deer hunting yet, But by the end of october I might go.

Most of my hunting is in swampy areas. I prefer the Marlin 1894S in .44 Mag with the Gold Dot 270Gr soft points. Three one shot kills to date. Longest range with this rifle was just under 75 yards.

I use to hunt all the seasons here in Ohio, Gun, bow and muzzleloader. It seems I just don't have the time anymore to fit them all in. I still get out during gun season and enjoy taking my T/C in .44 magnum with me.

A hard call.....

There's nothing like the up close rush from hunting with a traditional bow.

There's also a nice feeling involved when hunting with a firearm design that was state of the art ca 1850.

But then,I've used my 870s so long for everything,including whitetails, that they feel like a body part instead of a well known tool.

And while I mostly hunt shotgun counties, there's a special thrill in long range deer sniping with a good centerfire and big scope.

So, I refuse to pick. I like them all!!

Since my preference is walking-hunting in fairly open country, the rifle is the only choice for me. A scoped pistol would be my choice for some of the swamps in which I've hunted, since my eyes don't do at all well with iron sights in those last twenty or thirty minutes of shooting time.

Arthritis in my shoulders make bows a non-starter...Grump.

Art

Interesting to note that thus far, no one has elected a muzzle loader as first choice. Anybody here use a muzzle loader in an otherwise shotgun-only area?

Legionnaire

Often I use my muzzleloader instead of a shotgun in areas where they are the only legal weapons. I prefer the accuracy, better trigger, and single bullet theory over the multiple shots of the shotgun. I answered bolt action rifle on the poll because I prefer them to the muzzleloader where both are legal.

griz,

Where I most often hunt legal firearms are shotgun (can be rifled), handgun, or a muzzle loader. I don't care for the rifled shotgun, so have been hunting with a .44 revolver. But this year I'm going with an Encore in .243. Before all said and done, though, I might add a rifle stock and muzzle loader barrel, although I'm not sure what they would add over the 14" .243 pistol.

What type muzzle loader do you use?

Sorry for the delay in answering. I use a Traditions inline with a Simmons whitetail scope, 2X8 if I remember right. I played around with the trigger to get it decent. It has shot pretty well with home cast conicals or lately, a Hornady 44 SWCHP in a sabot.
I just saw that Traditions sells a breech plug kit to switch to shotgun primers. I will probably go that route, but not till after the season ends. It's nothing fancy but I like it.

Back