Preferred Sight Type for Stainless CCW

Cosmodragoon

I've always kept factory sights on my handguns. I never felt the need to upgrade. Well, my eyes aren't as young as they used to be. I've also wondered how much quality of life could actually be improved by better sights.

So what do y'all use in your carry guns? Have different colors or color contrasts worked for you? Is Tritium worth it?

(I'm not sure it matters but I specified stainless in case slide contrast is a factor. I specified CCW because I'm not interested in adding anything bulky.)

I have upgraded many of my guns sights over the years. I feel that they are worth it just to be able to get my point of aim on my target better/faster in low light conditions. I personally like adding night sights to my CCW, even if it only helps a little, I will take any help I can get in a life and death struggle.

Who likes going shooting if they cant see what they are doing? Give it a try on one gun and see how you like it.

I definitely prefer night sights. I have multiple Sigs so I have become quite accustomed to Siglites. I do not like the x-ray sights on my p365. At some point I will probably change those to TFOs as I have them on a couple of guns and like them.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

My carry guns are 642s and have SS sights, not the best but for some reason I can see them. I shoot both eyes open. I put a little orang nail polish on some and it seems to help me.

At 76 years of youth, I still prefer factory 3-dot sights. I don't even care for fiber optic front sights -- I shoot at an indoor range that has no lights above the gun in the bays, so the fiber optic tube doesn't receive any light to amplify. For me, at the range, a FO sight is worse than a white dot.

Cosmodragoon: said:
Well, my eyes aren't as young as they used to be.

Same boat here, I like blind rear sights and a F.O. front on just about everything I shoot these days. For a 1911 or BHP I like a gold-bead front, looks nice & works great.

My current carry has three-dot night sights.
I generally dislike any sort of dots, lines, squares, colors on the rear sight, but for night sights to be effective, there has to be some illumination of both front and rear.
I like fiber-optic front and plain rear; if there's so little light that the front sight isn't glowing, there's probably too little light to ID the target.
Shooting in the dark is easy with night sights, but you shouldn't be shooting in the dark!

I don't even like white dots, I paint them black. I have never used tritium (too expensive) or fiber optic. I find the stock black sights on S&W M&P, Shield, or Glocks to be very visible and accurate, easy to shoot well with.

I’m a big fan of XS Sights Big Dot Sights with the tritium inserts for guns intended to be used for carry. I have J frames with and without the Big Dot and I can assure you that out to seven yards my guns with them out shoot the guns without in speed and accuracy and body shots out to twenty five yards aren’t that difficult.

All of my carry guns have Trijicon HD sights which I've found to be easy to see and more accurate than I am. That being said; I haven't touched any of them for close to three years and now the DMV is saying I am old enough for annual eye exams. When I get back to the land of the big PX I will likely re-evaluate how they work for my ageing eyes. I'm tempted to start looking into an RMR, but that is a decision to be made in a few months.

The only night sight I have is on a Valkyrie, large and blurry, hard to get a good sight picture if you're trying for a precision sight picture. Not sure I like it at all. I think I'd rather have a gold bead. Gonna have to blacken either one for precision shooting.

On my M60, I took a "Q-tip" dipped in "super-lube" and ran it up and down the fixsight channer and the serrate portion of the sight ramp and taped the frame side surfaces.
Then sprayed painted the frame top and barrel with black paint. let dryed and cleaned the
sight channel.

This removes the glare and the sighting surface "popped" into alignment form me.

I prefer a gold bead front sight and a wide, black, U Notch rear sight. That’s my setup on all of my 1911’s. My eyes aren’t yet until either, they just turned 72.

I also have painted the rear sight of most of my EDC pistols Black. On a front sight, I prefer a smaller sight. I do mostly Point and shoot and found the rear sight three dot too distracting and not needed.
I have owned almost all the sights mentioned. But do like a front night sights only. Even with point shooting, the front sight is used in a peripheral sense. The front night sight in darkness works great.
My favorite sight is the one I recently placed on my Ruger LCR. It is orange, but will glow after being lit with a flash light. Similar to the paint on glow, but much better quality that last quite a long time. In fact which I could get these with all my EDC.

XS Sights New Standard Dot Night Sights for Ruger LCR Pistols, Glow Sights for Tactical Applications, Fits Multiple LCR calibers

I've been warming up to the idea of green tritium combined with either orange paint or fiber optic for the front sight. It seems to be the best of both worlds.

I've been okay with a plain rear sight. I understand how some people find rear dots distracting. I noticed that some rear sights come plain black but with tritium for indexing in low light. There is certainly a lot to explore here!

I've been warming up to the idea of green tritium combined with either orange paint or fiber optic for the front sight. It seems to be the best of both worlds.
Yep that's been my experience as well. For CC night use, I'd say tritium sights are a must have...

I routinely carry the Sig P365 with tritium rears and that big green dot with tritium center front. Didn't think I'd like it for lack of precision when needed, but it's far and away my favorite sight pairing now. The big green dot is no hindrance whatsoever, even in bright sunlight, is extremely easy to pick up at speed, and best of all, allows true precision out for playing card sized targets out to 15+ yards.

This skunk season here in KY, and each night I walk out my pointer prior to turning in, I carry the 365. Those tritium's really show up and will allow me to nail one of those obnoxious black & white critters when needed.

Pic below was shot from 10 yds with a combat Weaver Stance...accuracy is not a problem with the sights on the P365 I'd say. The red dot is 1-1/4". I'd had the gun a cpl weeks at that point and, yeah, for you nitpickers, I've made the necessary sight adjustment!! Best Regards, Rod

Back