• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Preferences

Byron Quick

Staff In Memoriam
Help! I can't get the preferences to work anymore. I have reset them several times and have deleted all reference to the firing line in my cookies file. Still no good. What next?

Rich, I have a bit of the same problem from time to time. About 50% of the time my machine at work doesn't retain the TFL data. At home the machine probably 'forgets' TFL 10% to 20% of the time. [You see - you've got me hooked here. Can't even go to the office without taking a peek at the forums. ;) ]

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited 02-10-99).]

Rich,

I am trying to get ANY of the preferences to work. I have to type in my username and password on each post. Same with the number of days on the posts. Nothing is working for me.

I'm using Netscape. How do I tell if cookies is enabled? The cookies text file is full of stuff that I just deleted :) Let's see if that helps.

OK. I'm pulling up the topics as I set the preferences. Still not pulling up my username and password, though. Let me type it in one more time and see if it works this time.

Spartacus-
It's your cookies. In Netscape do this:

-Edit
-Preferences
-Advanced (click on the word "advanced", not the "+" next to it)

That's where you'll find your cookies settings.
Rich

One thing to remeber is that if you are not using a bookmark to get to the forums, you have to enter in the same URL each time.

For example http://www.TheFiringLine.com/ is not the same as http://www.thefiringline.com/

By not capitlizing letters, you have set a different cookie.

If you are using the same bookmark everytime, it could be that your browser is not set to accept cookies.

If your browser is set to accept cookies, there is a possibility that you have "bad" cookies being stored in your internet temporary files on your computer. Believe me, I was tearing my hair out until I found this problem one day. With this situation, you have to delete your cookies from your program file, delete them from the temporary files, turn off and reboot your computer and it should work. Note the bold type, if you don't turn off and reboot, guess what doesn't get deleted?

Good luck!

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
http://www.bladeforums.com

OK. Now if I can just find the files :) I'm getting bad cookies and everyone else is getting good cookies...there's a sad song in there somewhere.

Spartacus, try some milk with your bad cookies, sometimes it helps. You have to keep some milk in your cookie account at all times. - Doc

[This message has been edited by Doc (edited February 16, 1999).]

Back