Precision rifle

house

Can Any one tell me about the remington 700Pss in 308. I am interested in shooting
distances up to 1000 or so. I am on a limted budget so i cant affored a 2000.00 rifle and a scope. Can you guys tell me anything about this rifle and the pros and cons about it.
Also if there any other ones i should look it to. I know i should not skimp out on the lowest cheapsest gun and thats not what i am trying to do. i would like a good one that will serve me well.

House

I have a PSS with a detachable magazine in .308 with a Leupold 4.5x14x40 mildot tactical scope sitting on top of it.

By no means am I an expert marksman, but once I dialed in the scope adjustments, I was able to hit a pie pan size target with four consecutive shots at over 500 yards from a bench rest. This was the best grouping I've ever shot with any rifle.

The kevlar graphite stock has an aluminum bedding block and the barrel is free-floated. It has two sling swivels on the fore stock, one for a bipod. The stock has an exagerated palm swell that is very comfortable and aids in proper trigger finger positioning (for me). The action is very smooth and precise as is with all Remington actions.

Fully dressed, it weighs close to 14 pounds so the recoil is well absorbed. I've had nothing but pleasurable shoots with thsi rifle and would highly recommend it. Here in California, I've seen them in two shops for $799. I paid $590 two years ago.

Good luck!

If you want to save some money, you may want to look into the 700VS in 308. Last year, Remington was only making these in a left-handed model, but since they tightened down on the 700P (formerly the 700PSS) being sold only to law enforcement, the demand for the right-handed 700VS has increased. They are back in production now. The barreled action is identical between these two rifles, the only difference is the stock. Both stocks are made by HS Precision, but the model used on the 700P has a larger palm swell, a wider forearm, and comes with two forward sling swivels installed (one is intended for a harris-style bipod). The other difference is one of price. With some good shopping, you should be able to find a brand new 700VS for somewhere around $500. The 700P will draw at least $650, if not more. If you decide later that you want to upgrade the stock, check out Accuracy International for some ideas of what can be done to these rifles. As for the cons, there aren't many, but for any extended carry, they are quite heavy. The pros? Well, the 700-series rifles are some of the finest production rifles made, parts for them are easy to find and relatively inexpensive, nearly all 'smiths are familiar with them and the "little tricks" to help improve them, etc. Your next issue will be one of finding the right scope. I hope this helped.
-John

I don't know if your dead set on Remington but you may want to look into a Savage. I was looking to buy a Remington when I stumbled across mine. I got a 110FP/Tactical for about $600. Mine shoots @ 1.5 inch groups at 200yds. (longest range around) The money you save on the rifle you can invest in quality optics.

------------------
"Some people spend an entire liftime wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem."
Semper Fi

My PSS .308 sports a Leupold 3.5-10X40 LR M3 on Badger Ordnance mounts and rings. at 300m (the longest range around here) I average 1.375" 3 shots center to center with Federal 168gr Gold Medal Match. I'm taking it out to Arizona in May to really test it out.

Stay away from the Savage unless you plan to immediately replace the factory stock with a good aftermarket stock. By the time you do that you will have spent enough to equal a new PSS which already comes with a great stock (H-S Precision). Every time I've shot a Savage with my M1907 sling I've pulled the forearm into contact with the barrel, destroying the free-float, and opening the groups up quite a bit. Also, the Savage trigger can be adjusted, but it is kind of a Mickey Mouse affair that will probably not hold adjustment, every Remington trigger I've ever done has held adjustment consistently, even as low as 2lbs.

You won't regret sticking with Remington.

If I were on a budget I'd go with The Remington 700 VS ($550), Tasco SS10X42 mil-dot scope ($299 and worth more, even though it's a Tasco!), and Lightforce mount and rings (about $150). Total cost: about $999.00.

Optional items: High quality M1907 sling $50.00(learn how to use it properly, it's almost as steady as a bipod) and a Harris bipod. $75.00. I use sling and/or sandbags mostly, but the bipod is handy sometimes.

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.

What's the dif between the 700VS and 700 VLS?Was looking at a new VLS heave barrel in 308 for 550.00 but decided to resist the urge since I just purchased a new (for me)rifle this weekend.

The VLS is a gloss blued action/barrel in a laminated wood stock. It does not have a bedding block.

The VS is a matte blued action/barrel in an H-S Precision kevlar/fiberglass stock with an aluminum bedding block.

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.

Understand the practical reasons behind composite stocks but really like the wood. Do you think the 700 VLS has the same accuracy potential as the VS models. Realize the VS has an aluminum bedding block and floated barrel but could you not do that to the VLS and have the same accuracy? You'd have a few more bucks in of course but that would be what I'd want. Thanks for opinions. Clint

Clint, I too prefer wood and as a result have two VLSs. Both are astoundingly accurate with a variety of loads (less than .5 moa). I just can't get into the composite stock thing. Heck, I've even purchased rifles because they had pretty wood - as recent as yesterday. :)

------------------
"Keep shootin till they quit floppin"
The Wife 2/2000

Back