Preban Ar-15 registration in Ca

BOB89

Retired Screen Name
Im going to get a preban ar-15 lower reciever soon and need to know if I have to register it in California? If so how much does registration cost?

BOB89,

I suggest you query the California Department of Justice before you spend your money. The Roberti-Roos "Assault" Weapons ban specifically addresses AR-15s. Look-a-likes such as Olympic Arms, Colt Sporter .223s have been sold because the Attorney General tried to add AR-15 look-a-likes to the list in Superior Court and promptly got sued by a number of plaintiff's, including Colt.

The Third(?) District Appelate court ruled the method for adding weapons to the list was unconstitutional, because it was a violation of separation of powers. Essentially, if the legislature wants to ban weapons it should do so, not ask some superior court judge to do so.

With regards to registering your pre-ban AR-15. Under Roberti-Roos, there was a cut-off date for registration. Then there was an amnesty period. Attorney General Lungren tried to extend the amnesty with the thinking since an arrest under Roberti-Roos could be reduced to an infraction if the weapon was owned prior to July 1st, 1989, then it was Ok to continue to accept registrations. Lungren took heat in the LA Times over his stand and thus reversed his position on "tardy" registrations.

I think that unless you can prove you owned your pre-ban AR-15 before July 1, 1989, you don't stand a snowball's chance in H--- to register it. The only persons who are currently able to register any weapon covered by Roberti-Roos are weapons props guys who provide weapons to the movie studios.

If you do get a favorable opinion from the Attorney General, I strongly suggest you get it in writing. Even then, remember Dan Lungren flip-flopped on the SKS issue.

------------------
Bruce Stanton

I believe the Roberti-Roos ban targeted the Colt AR-15 specifically. An AR-15 by any other manufacturer was neither banned nor required to be registered. However, the 1994 ban covered any AR-15 type rifle with more than x number of the "assault" features (pistol grip, bayonet lug, etc).

I bought my pre-1994 Eagle M-4C in 1996 and was not required to register it (like I would if I could help it). It has all the nasty features that make liberals wet their pants.

All of this information, and a lot more, is available on the California DOJ's web page. There is also a book, generally available at gun shops in CA, which gives a good interpretation of these laws. The California Rifle and Pistol Association (CRPA) distributes a pamphlet that includes the down-and-dirty info on most CA gun issues. If you're not a member already, their address is as follows:

California Rifle and Pistol Association
271 East Imperial Highway, Suite 620
Fullerton, CA 92835
(714) 992-CRPA

If you go to the Pomona Gun Show on April 30-May 2, you can join there.

You might also try ar15.com also.

[This message has been edited by Destructo6 (edited April 20, 1999).]

Let's make two distinctions here.

The Kalifornia ban which spawned the Colt Sporter took place in 1989. It was name specific so the AR15 became the Colt Sporter.

Then, Feinstein came along and helped push through the 1994 Fed ban which took away all our naughty toys.

So, within Kalifornia, Colt Sporters produced after 1989 don't need to be registered until the Attorney Gen. successfully adds other makes onto the ban list. If it's an AR15, I don't think the state will allow you to register it anymore. The grace period expired years ago and a recent lawsuit bars our Atty Gen from accepting registration of guns. Simply put, they don't want you to have it.

But, hey, the Supreme court has already ruled that, if it's illegal for you to have it, you can't be prosecuted for failing to register it. (Because registration would be self-incrimination.)

Back