pre64 model 70 one piece scope base

djburns100

Inactive
Hi,

I hope someone can help me. I just inherited a model 70, 30 GOV'T 06 with a serial number of ( 38xxx ) this is a long action.
For the life of me I can't find a scope base and rings for it.
It has two mounting holes in front and one in back.
If you know of a base and rings that would fit that information would be most helpful.

According to the serial number provided this is a pre-war model (1941 production).

Try Conetrol (www.conetrol.com), their web site shows one-piece bases for Winchester 54 and prewar Winchester 70s. Conetrol rings/bases are a very good, strong, and attractive mounting system and their quality control is excellent.

Your rifle is very much in demand with both hunters and collectors. Depending on condition it could have substantial collector value. I won't tell another man what to do with his own property but you should be aware alterations to original condition can significantly reduce value.

I dont have my model 70 book in front of me right now but if indeed it is a pre war model then the single hole in the rear reciever bridge is an aftermarket gunsmith installed screw hole. All pre wars were only drilled and tapped on the front bridge. This being the case the standard one piece base commercially made for later models may not fit as the gunsmith may not have been drilled in the correct spot. I believe if I dig deep enough I might be able to find a Redfield one piece base, but again it may not fit because of the rear hole placement.

Back