Pre-war Walther Rifle

Herr Walther

The person who asked the question about the single-shot .22LR pre- or war-time rifle, I believe it to be a KKW.
These are the only rifles of this type that Walther manufactured until 1953.

It is very similar in appearance to a K98k. I though it was possibly a KKJ, but those had not been manufactured yet, and earlier rifles are all repeaters.

I believe the original post was wiped out with the DB crash...along with my account.

Michael

I beg your pardon, but Walther did make another single-shot .22 in the inter-war years.

Check the Model V. It is a single shot bolt action with a 26" and a plain walnut stock. I have seen one with a military-type stock and Army acceptance markings. (It is a fine shooter.)

According to my reference book, the KKW was nothing more than a military stocked version of the post war KKM.

Doc Hudson

In addition to the Model V, mentioned above, I believe that Walther also made some very high quality 22 LR match rifles. These are rare and highly desirable. I saw one once, but it was not for sale. I don't have any real hard information on these, however.

I will have to look closer and pull out the German/English dictionary for my source book on this subject. I have a book written by the Walther Waffenfabrik, but I did not see a reference to a pre-war or war-time Model V.

As far as I can make out with my limited Deutsch, the KKW is a war-time .22LR single-shot bolt action.

Doc, are you saying that after the war Walther took the KKW and changed the stock to a sporter and changed the name to KKM?

My reference is "Eine Deutsche Legende", written entirely in German, so I need to look a bit closer.

Walther handguns are actually my specialty, but I try to help out with any Walther related question.

Gruss

Herr Walther,

According to my reference, a 9th Edition of the Standard Catalog of Firearms, the description of the KKM is as follows:

Model KKM International Match
A .22 caliber single shot bolt-action rifle with a 28" barrel and adjustable sights. Blued with walnut stock fitted for a palm rest and with an adjustable buttplate. Manufactured after World War II

Model KKM-S
As above, with and adjustable cheekpiece.

Model KKW
As above, with a military-style stock.

Also listed among post-War single shots are:

Model SSV Varmint
A .22 caliber single shot rifle with a 25.5" barrel not fitted with sights and a Monte Carlo-style stock. Blued. Manufactured after WWII

There are also several versions of the Model UIT listed that were aimed at particular types of competition shooting.

I suspect that the high grade competition rifle Herodotus mentioned was either a Model V Champion or the Olympic Single Shot which had a palm rest and adjustable buttplate. (no manufacture dates were mentioned for the Olympic.)

BTW, if you are trying to translate from a book in German, you are doing a danged sight better than I'd do. If you computer has German fonts, you can use the Babelfish program available at Yahoo.com to help translate.

Regards,
Doc Hudson

Back