Pre/Post Win MOD 70

Hoskins

What was all the fuss about when Winchester came out w/ the "post-64" Model 70's? was it simply because the action was a push feed instead of the controlled feed like the pre-64's?

From what I have read, that seems to be the only difference...is this the case?

Switching to push-feed was the most visible difference, so that is what most people key in on, but there were other differences: elimination of the claw extractor, use of painted aluminum in non-critical parts, lots of stamped metal parts, and use of streamlined manufacturing that degraded and devalued the higher end guns by producing low-value "bargain" guns on the same line in order to try to gain economies of scale. The lack of the claw extractor was the least of the issues.

In some ways, the post-64 rifles were an improvement over the pre-64s: better wood and wood finishes, better checkering, better barrels, etc. But there were many issues with the first series off the line, so the bad taste stuck.

I'd agree with the post-'64 improvements, except for the checkering. Prior to the changes, the checkering was actually cut into the stock. Afterward, the checkering was pressed-in.

Yeah, I seem to remember Winchester modified the push feed in '68 ( left side of the bolt with the ejector cut where it ran in the receiver rail? ) without ever admitting the quality/feeding problems that plagued the early ones. But I could be all wrong too, memory!

I have had a few of the early and mid '70s guns over the years that always worked and shot well.

JT

It depends on which post 64 you are talking about. Winchesters made in the late 50's and early 60's had already started to decline in quality. Buying a pre 64 is not a guarantee of a good rifle.

Rifles made from 1964 to about 1979 were rather poor quality and ugly as sin. Winchester was sold out to United States Repeating Arms who used the Winchester name starting in 1980 (I think). Rifles were still push feed, but quality improved dramatically and rifles of this era are as good as any other. Wood is good and real cut checkering is used.

Starting in 1994 Winchester brought back the CRF rifles and called them Model 70 Classics. Early versions of these rifles are some of the best ever made. From a shooters perspective they performed better than the original, but will never have the value.

Sadly sometime after 2000 quality started to slip again. From then until the doors closed in 2006 buying one was a crap shoot. Some worked well enough, others were junk.

FN bought Winchester in 2006 and closed the factory. They began producing the model 70 again in 2008 in their South Carolina factory. Apparently they are again making a quality gun. I'll let you know next week. I am picking up one on Friday. I also have one of the late 90's Classic rifles. The new one will have to go a long way to impress me after shooting the one I have.

Quality from Serial #, Can't recall year of purchase

Will a serial number indicate the year of manufacture for my Winchester Model 70 and consequently what period of quality? I own a Winchester Model 70 7 m/m Remington Magnum Serial number G118XXXX. Due to some health issues I have not had the opportunity to use the rifle very much,; however, things are looking up a bit, and I hope to get back to shooting and hunting. My examination of the rifle makes me believe that the quality is quite high. Can anyone provide some insight about the quality of this vintage Model 70? I can't recall the year of manufacture or when I actually purchased the rifle.

Thanks,

Dan

One of my all time favorite rifles is a Winchester model 670 that was built in 1972. It has a birch stock with pressed checkering and it shoots amazing groups with Remington AccuBond Ammo.

The snobs turn up their noses up at the thought of owning this model rifle.

Pre-64 or Post 64 should not make any difference to genuine hunters. Its the accurate well placed shot that puts animals down quickly.

Jack

Your 670 is a few years older than mine, Jack. Mine got moved to the back of the safe after a bit of rifling let go a few inches from the muzzle about six years ago. :( Until then it was a great rifle in spite of my early handloads and preference for cheap glass. Shot my first sub-MOA group with that rifle and factory RP Core-Lokts. After I learned to load ammo it liked I could use a business card @ 100 yards to verify zero before a hunt. It never missed the card, but I sure miss that rifle.
Have a beautiful current production Super Grade and someday I hope it'll be almost as good as Old Ugly.

I have to disagree with most in here. It isnt often I disagree with some of you. However there is a VAST difference between the pre' and post's. I cant seem to recall ever seeing a $20,000 custom rifle ever built on a push feed model 70, though I have seen plenty built on the pre- 64's. There are a number of difference in the newer controlled feeds and the pre 64 models. To many to number. There is even a vast difference in pre 64 models. Us purists dont collect any built after 1952.

What was all the fuss about when Winchester came out w/ the "post-64" Model 70's? was it simply because the action was a push feed instead of the controlled feed like the pre-64's?

The claw extractor was the most visible change.

There were changes in fabrication of the bolt. Instead of a one piece forging the bolt was made from several pieces.

A pre 64 collector told me that Winchester lost money on every pre 64 M70 they made. Maybe he was talking about the 50’s to 64 rifles, but the fact of the matter was the pre 64 was expensive to make and Winchester was using old worn out machines.

I don’t think everyone would have been as upset if Winchester had used a different model designation. Calling the post 64 a Model 70 was deceitful. It was a different model.

The push feed was an excellent rifle, it is smooth to operate, with a good barrel and bedding it is accurate. It was used as the foundation for lots of Highpower target rifles, the only thing that really wears out is the extractor.

Back