Pre or Post? Is it worth the $?

jon3

I'm deciding an AR purchase. It is going to have to be an all-around good rifle. I'd like to be able to do some target shooting, as well as plinking and general home defense.

That said, I'm prepared to pay for a high quality rifle, if I can find one that suits all my needs...

Bushmaster appears to have a good reputation, as does Colt. Anybody have any experience with the Carbon-15 from Profession Ordinance? I do rather like the idea of a 3.9lb rifle. I'm lazy that way. :)

The big question is: Do I bother to spend
the money for a pre-ban? The 5 qualifications seem to be: threaded barrel, pistol grip, bayonet lug, folding stock, grenade launcher.

I have no interest in a grenade launcher or bayonet lug. (Unless the Bayonet lug is what is used to mount the rail systems (flashlight, laser, etc.)) I AM interested in possibly a muzzle brake, and with a threaded muzzle, I could yank it to quiet things down, or swap it out for a flash supressor, should the need arise. I'd like the ability to be able to put a telescoping, or at least modular stock on it. I don't know how well the "pistol grip" limitation fits current models from the 3 manufacturers I mentioned.

Pre or Post? And what model would you think fits this best?

You're only allowed 2 "evil" items on your AR with the "evil" items being a detachable magazine, a pistol grip, a bayo-lug, a flash hider, a collapsable stock.

Since all AR's come with a detachable magazine and a pistol grip, you can't have any of the other goodies.

In my opinion, it ain't worth $600 for a flash hider and I don't need a bayo-lug. I would love to have the 3 or 4 position stock but that ain't worth $600 to me either.

Mikey

jon3,
Mikey is right about the 2 evil features on postbans being the grip and detachable mag, no others allowed. You can have a muzzle brake on a post ban, but it will have to be a slipfit setscrew model, or permanently pinned (you were right about threads being evil). The Carbon-15 does look like an interesting rifle, but I have no firsthand knowledge of it. It is rather high dollar, you could easily find a good preban carbine with a collapsible stock (flash hider and bayo lug) for less. If you want the evil items and they are worth the extra $ to you then get a preban.
I know that there has been a lot of discussion about the suitability of the AR for home defense and the low probability of the .223 penetrating many walls, but I don't think it is a good idea. Would you really want a prosecutor talking about the crazy with the highcapacity,flashiding,bayonetmount evil assualt rifle riddling the poor defenseless burglar with many more holes than he deserved? It really wouldn't matter how right the shooting was, the fact that you used an "assualt rifle" would get you convicted.
The AR is a great target rifle, plinker, varmit rifle, generally pretty accurate fun gun to shoot. Bushmaster, Armalite, DPMS, and Oly all have good reputations, while Colt has taken some heat for increased use of plastic parts, as well as their use of off-sized pins (nobody says they aren't accurate though). My advise would be to start with a basic post ban 20" A2 by any of these makers. After you have had it a while you will want to get another, maybe a 24" floated bullbarrel flattop, or how about a Dissipator, or making an M4gery, or maybe a DCM legal target rifle, or a spacegun--oh no, they are like potato chips, you can't stop with just one! ;)
B
p.s. besides all of the different styles, they are also avilable in many different calibers, from .17 Rem to .50AE. Literally 100s of possibilities. I'm back down to one plain-jane 20" right now, but I've been getting the itch to put together another. My problem is deciding between a shorty in 7.62x39 as a brush gun or aprecision varmiter.

[This message has been edited by bergie (edited September 07, 1999).]

I am with Mikey and bergie, flash suppressor and bayo-lug just not worth several hundred dollars for a preban. I am real happy with my post-ban Bushmaster shorty carbine. Get an AR whatever-ban and do not look back. The way things are going in Kali, they may all be pre-ban before you know it.

If weight is a consideration Bushmaster has narrow profile barrel (under the handguards) like the early m16's. It is MUCH lighter than the HBAR. Accuracy may suffer after about 50+ consecutive rounds as it heats up so winning a CMP match is out of the question but for any other pupose its just fine. If you like the tele stock look Olympic Arms has a fixed look alike which is post ban legal.

While I wouldn't spend extra $$ ona pre-ban AR, I would consider it to be a fit tool for home defense (I have no combat-worthy shotguns, so it is AR or bolt files or handguns). I do not have to worry much about overpenetration, but .223 would be helpful if the intruder turns out to be armored.

Back