pre-lubed wads

southernboy

Inactive
I noticed my local gun shop carries pre-lubed wads. Could anybody tell me if this is a safe alternative to applying lube to the ball in regards to chain fires? I'm new so I don't know much.

Lubed wads for your cap & ball revolver is fine, quite a few of us "my self included" use them instead of the grease over the ball.

Just remember that the loading process is a little different.

Pre measured powder charge in the chamber.
Lubed wad over the powder, push down to make room for the ball.
your ball seated over the powder & wad to seal the chamber.
after you load all 5 chambers then cap them & you're ready to fire.

Their much less trouble if the gun is to remain loaded for any period, or carried for any length of time in the summer. Their also more consistant since exposed lube gets blown away by the first shot.

Raider 2000 +2

That's all I use. The wonder wads are a little expensive though. I make my own using precut .386 dry felt wads and lubing them with a mix of beeswax and bore butter.

I know I've read threads about making them, but I can't recall the term used. Some kind of button?

Harbor Freight sells cheap Chinese made hole punches that will make several different size wads. Five bucks or so will get you a set of nine punches(plus five bucks or so shipping). You'll get punches that will make .36, .44, and .50 caliber wads. I would usually look up the link for you but I'm in a lazy mood right now. :D

Use them too.

i bought the 1000 pack from cabelas the fibre wads they are a lot thinner and allow me to hold more powder in my WALKER.

Back