pre-ban uppers

Little-e

Went to a gun show this past weekend and for whatever reason saw a huge amount of pre-ban uppers for the AR-15. My AR is post ban and I did not buy one, but my question is how can the average person tell if a lower is pre-ban or not? Are we suposed to check it by serial number? Also, if a dealer sells a post-ban lower and tells you it is pre-ban, is the consumer still responsible?

I suppose I already know the answer to the last one.

Go to www.AR15.com and they have a preban serial number list. It is not perfect, but it will give you a pretty good idea. Many people print it out and carry it with them to gun shows. Most manufacterers will tell you over the phone if your lower is pre-ban or not. (except Olympic Arms - they charge $20 to look it up)

If I were to buy a preban at a gun show, I'd ask for a written document from the dealer that it was preban. Then, if I found out it was really a postban, I'd ask for my money back or I'd call up the BATF and ask them to prosecute the hell out than dealer! It's just SOOOOOO easy to assemble an illegal AR. Buyer beware!!!!!

HTH!

PS I also have a postban AR. I'm always on the lookout for postban uppers, but I never see any at gun shows ...

A bayonet lug is a sure tip-off that the upper is pre-ban, as is a flash suppressor.

I don't believe that the date of manufacture (for the UPPER anyway) has anything to do with legality. It's all about the configuration. A permenantly attached muzzle brake, like the Dissapator by Armalite or a Vortex, is A-Okay, but a birdcage M-16 flash suppressor is bad Ju-Ju.

Definately check out Ar15.com like Gino said.

Back