Pre Ban-Post Ban Mgs.....Please explain!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakeman

I'm new to the Semi's , and I'm not quite sure I understand this "BAN" law.
I know that a law exists that bans more then 10 rounds in a magazine, and to date this is the only one you can buy legally.
So why can you go to a Show and buy the old ones! If you do can you legally carry it in your new weapon?
If somebody can enliten me, THAT WOULD BE GREAT!!!!!
Thanks

"Pre-Bans" were made, domestically, prior to 1994 when the last national ban came into effect. Apparently there was (or is) a loophole that allows high capacity magazines to be imported from abroad (they banned manufacture, not importation). Currently (like this mere moment), pre-bans are okay to buy and sell, if you can afford them.

"Post-Bans" were made after the 1994 cutoff and are available only to military and law enforcement (technically) and usually have something to that effect stamped or engraved on them.

Hi-cap magazines made before sep 1994 are legal to buy and own. Mags made after that date are for law enforcement only. They usually have written on them a date of manufactorer or the words "for law enforcement or govt. use only. It is illegal for a non-law enforcement person to own or possess these mags.

"Post-ban" sometimes also refer to all of the currently legal 10-shot magazines. "Post-ban High-capacity" (more than 10 round mags) is legal only for military/law enforcement applications.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but let's not forget that the 10-round limit law "sunsets" in 20004 if now renewed - let's start gearing up now to defeat the inevitable attempt at renewal by the antis. Fortunately, it's much easier to defeat a new bill than repeal an existing one (law of political inertia).

Actually, does anyone know if the manufacture date is stamped on post-ban magazines? I was at a gun show and a vendor had 2 high cap magazines for sale. You could see that he had scratched off the part that said "LEO only". The date on it was 9/13/94 (glock 9mm).

The vendor said "The law says manufactured AFTER 9/13/99 are illegal and these were manufactured ON 9/13/99". I thought it was a BS story and walked away.

Its always stuck in my mind and about 6 months later I saw this:

O4) How does the law define the term "large capacity ammunition
feeding device?"

The term "large capacity ammunition feeding device" is defined as a magazine,
belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device manufactured after September 13,
1994, that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to
accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition. Large capacity ammunition
feeding devices in knockdown (disassembled) condition consisting of all parts
needed to assemble a complete large capacity ammunition feeding device are
subject to regulation if the parts are segregated or packaged together and held
by a person as the parts for the assembly of a particular device.

Listed at http://www.atf.treas.gov/core/firearms/information/faq/faqo.htm

Could that joker have been right? The 9/13/99 would be legal for civilians?

OOps, Typing in a hurry and started writing dates like I'm writing checks. All dates above were intended to 9/13/94. '99 is obviously out of the question. I'm just curious if Glock (or other manufacturers) acutally print the date of manufacture on their mags.

sorry 'bout that.

As I recall, the law and regs don't require a date, only a control number and/or the LEO/military marking. Still the use of a date appears reasonable and unequivocal.

With plenty of unmarked mags available for most guns, I wouldn't want to argue with the feds about "on" or "after", especially if other markings were ground off.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back