Pre Agreement Model 60 or SP101

Runner

Pre Agreement Model 65 or SP101

Looking for comments on the S&W M65 compaired to the Ruger SP101 both in a 3" barrel to be used to shoot .38 spl +P.

This new revolver would be a purse gun for the wife.

Any comments about these two options would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
I doubt it would make much difference.

Model 65 is a six shot, and nominally larger in cylinder diameter than the SP101.

Personally, I would rather have a S&W than a Ruger; I think S&W triggers are generally better.

Ruger's lighter-'may' get carried more?

The factory stocks also provide some recoil cushioning rubber that the 65 doesn't have. If you put such stocks on the Smith, it may make the grip much too large for her hand. But, I would have to agree regarding my preference for the Smith. The trigger is MUCH easier to master.

I have both and can't pick a favorite. I don't think you can go wrong. I would probably prefer the SP-101 for concealed holster carry but in a purse, ummm...well, I wouldn't carry a purse...Hmmm. My point is that I don't think that the SP-101 holds much advantage over the 65 in a purse. Flip a coin and you have made the right choice. :)

R6

Consider the sights. They would be fixed in the Ruger and adjustable in the Smith, right? If so, I would go with Ruger, and DOA, for concealed carry.

The SP-101 in an older version (.38 spl.) would be a bit smaller and lighter (it can be a handful). The frame size on the SP-101 was changed (a little longer) a while back to accommodate the .357. They made some on the .38 frame for .357 (125 JHP only). Just depends which fits your hand better. An older model 60 w/ 3" would be nice.

I've owned both.

Trigger's probably a little better and lighter on the Smith. Cylinder diameter and capacity is also bigger. Probably just a bit heavier, too.

I'm not sure everyone would agree, but I think the SP-101 is probably a bit more durable. I've seen S&W .357 k-frames go out of time - not all that unusual with police department guns. I've never seen a .357 SP-101 go out of time. I think the 3-point lock-up might be a little stronger on the SP-101, too. I'm a fan of the SP-101's factory grip, but not everyone agrees.

For the wife, for the purpose and the cartridge you specify, I'd probably go with the Smith. The better trigger and slightly greater mass are what I consider likely to make it a better gun for a lady. If it were for myself, I'd load .357s and I'd go with the Ruger (for the strength and smaller size).

My choice

Don't forget the M-60 w/ adjustable sight , the newer ones are in .357cal [this one is .38cal]

Attachments

• s&w model 60  3 bbl.jpg
    s&w model 60 3 bbl.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 79
A case can be made that a good late-60's or early '70s Colt Detective Special with custom sights and good grips is the finest tool available for flinging .38Spl downrange.

Triggers range from good to supernatural. Lockup tends to be tight, accuracy is among the best of all snubbies, and they're six-shooters versus five.

I happened to have already lucked into a good, weird five-shooter .38snub that fills the same tactical role, so I'm not going to look for an old Dick Special. But, if I needed a .38snub, that's where I'd be looking.

Jim

I carry a three inch model 65 each day concealed at work. I think it's a great gun, but frankly it's pretty big and heavy for what you have in mind. I was going to retire the 65 to my gals dresser for her "house" gun but it was too big for her fingers to reach the trigger comfortably.

You really might wan't to look at the 101 or pre agreement J frame (5 shot smiths), theres a ton of them out there, and with most of the J's in 357 now the 38's are cheap.

Regards, Blueduck

RJ, nice pic. What make are the grips on the pictured revolver?

There's an article on John Taffin's site that glows about what he dubs the "Trail Masterpiece," the adjustable-sight, 3" barrel Model 60. The fact that it later was chambered for the .357M makes it even more versatile for general field carrying purposes.

S&W Grips

JNEWELL
They are some early optional grips offered way back when....I have had several like them , but sold all but these.

Back