Pre 64 70 in .270

Afternoon,

Looking for a stock. My findings refer to Short Action , one I can't remember and Long Action. Is the .270 considered a long action? I know the new models of the 70 are different in the physical demensions, but will a post 64 stock work or be modified, very slightly to fit a pre 64?

Thanks for any help I get.

270 is definitely long action. There are models with 2-piece floorplates and 1 piiece floorplates, but the physical dimensions should be the same. I think. I'm no expert on them, but even though Winchester made changes to the working of the action over time, I think they are the same dimensions. I have replaced a couple stocks before, buying from Boyd's and they just dropped right in. Boyd's website gives you some tips on measurements and variations.

Go here and see what they say
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Classic-Replacement-Stocks-Winchester-Model-70-s/20.htm

The one peice and two piece floor plate stocks are different.

My pre-64 has a McMillan stock.

I think any later model two piece floor plate LA stock will work on a pre-64, but double check.

Last edited:
The Winchester Model 70 post-64 LA stocks will fit the pre-64 actions, the receivers are the same dimensions. Depending on when your rifle was made, you may need to relieve the barrel inlet to clear the barrel sight base bump. If your rifle is a 670 or a 770 (no floorplate/blind magazine) you will need to get a blind magazine stock.

Here you go from Bell & Carlson. Carbelite

#5141-__ *Winchester Mod 70 Pre-64, Long Action

Fits standard barreled action with hinged floorplate and trigger guard

I was going to say, I believe .270 Win would more accurately be called a "standard" action, along with other cartridges of the .30-06 family/derivation (for example), with "long" typically reserved for the traditional magnums (ie pre short and super short magnums) such as .300 Win Mag, .338, etc.,and "short" for the likes of the .308 family (including 7mm-08, .243, etc).

ZeroJunk said:
Here you go from Bell & Carlson. Carbelite

#5141-__ *Winchester Mod 70 Pre-64, Long Action

Fits standard barreled action with hinged floorplate and trigger guard

This is a good stock for the money that may require a small amount of fitting. I have one on a standard pre-64 M70 in .270.

#5141 Stock at Midway

If you don't have wood working tools you might consider these for fitting....

Inletting Chisels

My experience with this stock is that the stock mold for the action tang (rear) is squared while the action tang is rounded. It needed inletting there. Also, the original stocks allowed the trigger bracket to index the action height. This stock indexes the height of the action on the rear tang, so it may need a spacer if the height isn't right. You will know this because the rear action screw will go in too far and the bolt bottom lug will touch it.

Last edited:
Back