Pre-28 Range Report

Frenchy

It has been a cool, blustery day, and I was sitting around the house just goofing off, so I decided to grab my range bag and my new (old!) Smith, and go down to the police range and try it out. I had a box of PMC 158gr. RNL in my bag and just wanted to see what it's like to shoot a S&W.
The experience was enlightening, to say the least.
I hung up some 9" paper plates and did my shooting at 7, 15 and 25 yards. I shot one handed, two handed, both single and double action.
Now....my experience with a revolver is almost nonexistent, so I wasn't expecting a whole lot.
Out of 50 rounds, I missed the target exactly "0" times. That includes single handed (single action) at 25 yards. The groups were nothing to write home about, but that's not I was there for. I have no doubt that if I do my part, this is a bull's-eye gun.
This is a great handling pistol, and a pure joy to shoot. The double action could use some smoothing out, but the single action is light and breaks like glass. I think a set of target style grips (mine has Magna's), will aid in the handling.
I can't believe I've waited this long to own one of these. I have no doubt that in time, This will become my favorite gun, and not my last.

Something else you might want to try before getting big grips is locating a Tyler grip adapter that fits behind the trigger guard. Makes all the difference in the world to me.

Something else you might want to try before getting big grips is locating a Tyler grip adapter that fits behind the trigger guard. Makes all the difference in the world to me.

I've had quite a few people suggest that. I may just give that a try.

Welcome to the wheelgun world. You have a classic in every sense of the word. A shame the companies product quality has descended with their politics.

Truth to the old saw, "They don't make em like that any more"

Sam

We used to keep the Tyler T Grips at the range for the recruits. It was the biggest help for them. I have them on my Model 10. Haven`t seen them in awhile but I guess they`re around.

Only once did I have to recommend bigger grips but this guys hands were huge!

The 4" Model 28 I saw about a month or so ago had the small grips. I like them better and I`d put the T grip on it if I bought it.

Here's a pic.
123561_M-28_3.JPG

Last edited:
Congratulations - - -

- - -on your owning a true classic revolver. Such a pre-model 28 Highway Patrolman was my first proper law enforcement sidearm, way back in mid-sixties. Bought it used in a shop on Jacksboro Highway in Fort Worth. Believe I paid $65. Kept the magna stocks and installed a Pachmayr grip adaptor, which I liked better than the aluminum Tyler T-Grip.

S&W had been making and selling the "357 Magnum," no-model name, pre-model 27, since the late '30s, but it was a beautiful, hand-fitted piece with glossy blue finish and finely-checked top strap and barrel rib. Texas Department of Public Safety wanted to replace the old Colt New Service revolvers with .357 magnums, but there were budgetary considerations. They made a deal with S&W for a plain-jane version of their .357 and the Highway Patrolman was what resulted. Dull blue, sandblasted frame edges, and full four-inch barrel. It travelled a jillion highway miles on the hips of the Texas Highway patrol, and, later, all DPS uniformed services.

Heavy-duty, and heavy-weight. Dragged a uniformed officer's belt to half-mast, yes, but the solidity absorbed the recoil of the full-house .357 magnum cartridge. And, back in that less-gentle day, the heavy lugged barrel caused some cops to give up carrying a slapper or blackjack in the hip pocket. At the time I got mine, standard state issue ammo was Remington High Speed 158 gr. jacketed soft point. And it WAS hot--Rated at something like 1450 fps in a four-inch, I think. All the ammo companies gradually reduced their load intensity over the next couple of decades. Sorry I don't have the exact years of adoption and so forth. Can anyone else help?

Wish I could find a reasonably-priced old Highway Patrolman, just for nostalgia's sake - - - -

Best,
Johnny

S&W had been making and selling the "357 Magnum," no-model name, pre-model 27, since the late '30s
As I understand, ".357 Magnum" was the name of the Model 27, just ".357 Combat Magnum" was the Model 19. AFAIK.

My Model 28 "Highway Patrolman" is a relatively new '79 model. Ugly blue finish and a little rust. Sold by a son who didn't appreciate guns as much as his father. It shoots great, nice trigger and good feel. I replaced those ugly hard rubber/plastic grips with Hogue monogrips and am considering sending it to Robar for a new finish, although the recent thread on Bodycote's new finish is also of interest. I really like .357 N-frames.

Great information and story Johnny.

Sorry I don't have the exact years of adoption and so forth. Can anyone else help?

First year of production was 1954 with 8,427 being made. Mine was the 9,929th. making it a early "55". Mine has the 6" barrel. The "28" number was adopted in 1957.

Back