Prarrie dog hunt

Angel

Inactive
Does anyone know an outfit that takes you prarrie dog hunting? I saw an article on the browning buckmark rifle where they went hunting for them and it seemed great. Thanks.
Angel

There are a ton of them in montana and North Dakota and wyoming. Pick up a copy of Varmit Masters magazine and you will see adds for them in the back. Their website might also have some. You could also try an internet search for Hunting Outfitters.

Why not just place an ad in some of the local newspapers in the Dakotas, Montana, etc and see if some of the local farmers go for it. Tell them you will eradicate their pests for free or even pay them a reasonable amount for a couple days shooting. Some of these guys get to town about once a month and are glad to know folks are coming their direction. A couple of phone calls, shack up in their barn or in your own tent and shoot for a week. It's also a great way to find the inside track on some other hunting opportunities - pheasant, deer, etc. - as well as fishing places.

The other option is to take a week's scouting trip and talk with some of them. I know a couple of guys here who did that several years ago and spend 2 weeks a year shooting at several different farms waaaaaaay out in the country. The locals love to see them, because they have enough farm chores to keep them busy without shooting prairie dogs.

ERRainman

I watched "Remington Country" on the Outdoor Channel a couple of days ago . They were coyote huntin' on this ol' boys spread in Montana . He claimed that last year he lost 200 lambs to critters . I will tell you one thing . If I lost 200 animals to critters I would be inviting shooters from all over to come and hunt all they wanted . There should be plenty of these ranchers around . Also consider the fact that you would be on private property so there are no "outside controls" . Between coyotes and prarie dogs you could shoot until your barrel melts .
Varminthunters.org will put you in touch with all the clubs . Good luck .

Back