Practice Using non-Dominant Hand

atlctyslkr

Do you practice/prepare for a senario where you may not be able to use your dominant hand? Say your right handed and get hit in the right arm/shoulder area. Can you left hand handle that hot ammo you're carrying?

I don't carry stupid hot ammo. I suppose most of us could always benefit from more support hand practice though.

i am right hand and right eye dominate. for me a typical range session is.....................

single handed grip, DAO, 60% left hand, 40% right hand, 8" x 11" target @ 32 feet

Do you practice using your non-dominant hand?

All the time. I do most of my pistol/revolver practice with one hand. I learned a long time ago, is my "cop" days that you very seldom have both hands free. Building searches 'n such, you always have a flashlight, mirror, or some other item in one or the other of your hands.

If peeping though a door way on the right side, you might want to have the gun in your left hand for example.

I shoot both left and right handed with a rifle. I haven't with my pistol but will now.

I reload one handed with my pistol. I never thought about doing it with my rifle but will now.

Concur with vytoland; the majority of my practice these days is weak-hand only.

For me, it's all about making the most out of my practice sessions. Go with a plan of what I want to accomplish, work on 1 or 2 skills where I have identified weakness, and call it a day. I don't measure the value of a range session based on the volume of lead downrange.

Plus, I feel as though 3 or 4 short sessions are far more effective than one or two long ones. Push to failure to learn the skill, then repetition and consistency to reinforce it.

I've always been fairly good with my off hand. Having grown up in a left handed household, I learned a lot of things left handed. Two years ago I had hand surgery on both hands-the left one first. Prior to the first surgery, I did quite a bit of practice with the left hand so that after the right hand was fixed, I would be prepared for left hand carry. I changed my primary carry pistol to a single action due to contiued weakness in the left hand, carried with a loaded chamber hammer on 1/2 cock. Still unable to release the non ambi safety with my left trigger finger, I was able to easily cock the hammer with the cast on my right hand and assume a steady hold quite quickly.

I've always practiced with my off-hand. My goal has been to know that if I have to be, I can be proficient enough to be comfortable and in control.

When I took my first CCW class the instructor had us shoot some rounds off-hand. I swear there were people who admitted that the thought to do so had never occurred to them.

"You have two hands, people" is what I was thinking.

If you practice shooting from cover (barricade), it's an important skill. If you're right-handed, it's easy to shoot from the right side of a barricade and keep most of your body behind cover.

Shooting right-handed from the left side though, exposes a lot more of your body to your assailant.

That said though, I'm so lousy with my weak hand, I have trouble scratching my head with it, and I find that I really have to force myself to practice weak-hand shooting (especially if other shooters are watching to see how tight my groups are ;) :D.)

I always practice the same amount with each hand.
One handed reloads and drawing from the holster with the weak hand ( unloaded)

I don't consider it strong hand/weak hand or dominate/non-dominate.

I just shoot left-handed and right-handed.

A couple of years ago I had to wear a brace on my right wrist for about 8 weeks. I just started carrying my G19 in a left-handed holster and went about my business.

Practice Using non-Dominant Hand

What is that?

Why should one hand be more capable at defending yourself than the other.

It is not hard to learn to shoot with either hand.

I shoot with either one, and yes I'm right handed.

Deaf

Back