Practice and Defensive Ammo -- Best Match?

Gary H

So, if I use ProLoad 9MM / 115gr. /1300 fps /431 Fpd for self defense, but I practice with PMP / 115gr / 1120 fps / 320 Fpd, I have managed to keep my cost down, but lack a good match between the two loads. The ideal solution is to reload, but I'm not there. Keep 9mm, .40, .45 and .357 Magnum as defensive loads, but need to work on cheap practice loads that better match my defensive load. What have you found that provides a good match and still keeps the cost down?

With 9mm the difference between std and +P isn't enough to worry about IMO as far as training goes. Not like the diff between 38 wadcutters and full Magnum loads, or std 45 and +P for example. Shoot the best cheap stuff ya can find and save money, or load light and save wear on your gun.

Not an issue. I carry a 4" .357, and my subloads are normal/std. .38 Spl loads (fired ball & dummy). My subcaliber gun is a M18 S&W in .22 LR. Shooting is a matter of mental discipline, muscle memory, and a properly trained subconscious programmed to do the right things. I only shoot full loads about 5% of the time but I am essentially on autopilot when I do. For practical purposes I shoot the same with either.

I used to qualify LEOs with both normal and plus P plus 9mms. A good shooter will be ok with either. BTW I am not necessarily sold on the hotter ammo as a cure-all. Mindset and bullet placement count a lot more.

I think there is a middle ground here. At least SOME of your practice should be done with load similar in terms of recoil and muzzle blast as your carry ammunition, particularly if you carry a very "hot" ammunition (e.g., full load 125 grain .357 magnum JHPs) and practice with low intensity (e.g., 148 grain .38 special wadcutters). For the most part, shoot what ever is cheapest--marksmanship is a mechanical skill that requires practice, but if there is a great deal of difference between your practice loads and your carry loads, you probably should fire a couple of magazines/cylinders of your carry load or a similar practice load. (I usually solve this by shooting my currently loaded carry ammunition--the stuff that has been in magazines/cylinders for a while. I believe in rotating my carry ammunition frequently even though it can be expensive (admittedly, I do not have high capacity mags so I don't have to take out a second mortgage to refill my magazines).

The need is less for practice than to be prepared for difference if the need arises. For example, my carry load in my CCO is ProLoad 200 grain +P--it feels and sounds different than the generic 230 grain ball I with which I do most of my shooting--when I was carrying ProLoad's 230 grain +P the difference was far more pronounced. The same hold true only moreso if you carry one of the small .357 magnums and only practice with low intensity .38 specials. If you chose to carry one of these beasts loaded with 110 grain or 125 grain .357 JHPs practice some with your carry load and try to fire some later in the evening (where you can see the muzzle flash). I really cannot recommend it, but you might want to try one or two rounds without hearing protection. If you ever have to use a handgun for self-defence, the odds are it will be dark, and you will not have hearing protection. It might be nice to know what to expect (particularly if you have to do any follow-ups).

Wow..just got back here after 18 years and did a search which turned up my own post from 2000 asking the same question. These days better posted in the 'roll your own' forum, but the original post predates my reloading room.

Do any of you reload your practice ammo to match your expensive .45acp or 9mm Lugar defensive ammunition? If so, care to share?

Last edited:
I don't know what guys are doing now, who don't reload, with the scarcity of commercial ammunition.

During practice sessions, I shoot mild or mid level, target loads for 1/2 the time and finish up with 'carry load' level ammunition. We live on a farm and my range is a 2 minute walk from the back deck...very convenient and allows practice about anytime there's a break in the daily chores schedule.

I've reloaded my own for over 50 yrs now, and have always kept a reasonable supply of components handy, most primers, & some jacketed bullets, but also a healthy supply of home cast bullets. This has allowed me to continue shooting, through some times when store bought ammunition was just impossible to find.

I load practice ammunition for my revolvers as well as the autos that closely matches the recoil of my carry loads. This adds a bit of authenticity to range sessions and accustoms me and mine to the recoil and recovery times of our carry loads.

I also load for fun shooting, plinking and informal target shooting. (By far the majority of my shooting.)

YMMv Rod

Last edited:
Back