Practical Question - How to Carry Concealed AND Retrievable

Status
Not open for further replies.

abruzzi

I recently traded a Walther PPK/S (plus some $) for a Kimber Ultra Carry, which is virtually the same size and weighs a tad less. I'm discovering I carry the Kimber on a day-to-day basis a lot more. I think this is in part because I feel more confident that a single .45 shot to the chest would stop someone, where a .380 shot might require multiple hits and/or a genuine bullseye.

I have not yet purchased a specific holster for the Kimber because I am now discovering a whole new set of questions. Like where to stash the thing. The location changes for different situations.

In a car, I find the best place for carry is under my belt on my left hip (next to the driver door) which requires a cross draw, but the gun is still easily accessible.

In the office and on the street, if I don't have a jacket on, I carry it in my right pants pocket because I don't want the butt sticking out in public. It's less retrievable, but causes way too many conversations if not concealed totally

With a coat on I put it behind my back, so I can leave the coat open. If on my left hip hear, the butt shows from the front.

With a sweater or vest on I carry in the car position, left side, cross draw, because I have total concealment.

Although the 1911 is fairly safe in the "cocked and locked" position, I have to date only worn it that way on my left hip. I started out with it somewhat more forward above my groin, but decided against that after imagining the consequences of an AD.

WHAT OTHER PRACTICAL SOLUTIONS HAVE YOU COME UP WITH FOR CONCEALMENT AND RETRIEVAL?

I have found that IWB holsters work for me quite well. I carry on my right side just behind the centerline of my hip joint. Usually a heavy T-shirt covers it very well.
The only problem is that in a car, the pistol is almost ipossible to draw quickly. The only holster I have found that works for me in a car is a shoulder holster, but that requires a jacket or some similar cover. This is the great compromise you have to make when carrying a gun. You have to balance the three variables of comfort, concealability, and ease of access.
Since you already know where on you body you would like to carry, I advise you to get a couple of holster catalogs and put the pistol in the position that the holster would, and see if that would be a viable option. And finally, realize that you have entered into an arena as opinionated as choosing which gun to carry, so find what works for you.

you might want to try the clip draw.its a spring clip that installs under the right grip panel.its easy to install,and allows you several options on carrying. I have installed one on my colt commander c.c.o. and saves me the hassel of putting on a holster every day.check it out on info@clipdraw.com its cheaper than buying a holster.

abruzzi- I use a Galco concealeable 90% of the time, the other 10% it's a Safariland 5181 paddle. I spend a lot of time driving, and in and out of the car, the Galco is a butt-forward design that makes it comfortable and accessable in the car. Out of the car, in the summer, I use the same holsters with a Nike warmup jacket. I put my car keys in the right pocket which weights that side to prevent it blowing open. The one piece of advice I'd leave you with is- decide where you're going to wear your gun and don't change it. If the time ever comes that you need it in a hurry, you probably don't want to be thinking "let's see, is it shoulder holster today or sob...." My .02..

If you want a belt holster the Galco Concealable is as good as you can get. I have one and occasionally wear it. But if you want something you can and will wear comfortably daily. the Don Hume #715 IWB is absoloutly the Best. I have bought hundreds of dollars worth of holsters over the last few years, and it is the only one I would whole hardedly recommend . They do have a website if you want to see one.

------------------
10MM Magnum.... tried the rest, now I got the best

I agree with motorep- try to keep the number of carry methods down to a minimum. Find a few that will work for you in just about ANY situation.

I personally use an AKJ Concealco (Concealco) IWB-w/thumb-break most of the time, and carry it just behind my left hip, as I'm left handed. I also have a Blackhawk 5-5-10 waistpak (Urban Carry Case) for when the IWB isn't practical. These 2 will suit me just about anytime. They are also ideal because when I go to draw it would look to a BG like I'm retrieving my wallet- he won't know that it's actually in a pocket of my Foxfire vest up on my right pectoral. Cross-draw practically screams "I'm drawing a weapon!!". If I'm in my Ranger I would stash it in the seat console/armrest.

Good "hunting", and stay safe!

------------------
Lady Justice has been raped, truth assassin;
Rolls of red tape seal your lips, now you're done in;
Their money tips her scales again, make your deal;
Just what is truth? I cannot tell, cannot feel.

The ultimate in vanity
Exploiting their supremacy
I can't believe the things you say
I can't believe, I can't believe the price we pay- nothing can save us
Justice is lost, Justice is raped, Justice is gone
Pulling your strings,Justice is done...
Seeking no truth, winning is all,
Find it so grim, so true, so real....

If it isn't Scottish, it's CRAP! RKBA!

[This message has been edited by Jedi Oomodo (edited September 24, 1999).]

For me, an Inside-the-waistband holster seems to be the most versatile/concealable with a variety of clothing. Most people here like leather holsters it seems, but I absolutely love my Blade-Tech IWB (concealex plastic).

It is not as wide as most leather holsters, and is VERY strong. It has 2 adjustable tension screws to hold the gun as tight or loose as you want. You can also choose between belt loops or a J-hook. In two years of using a Blade-Tech IWB, the plastic holster has never made a mark on my Glock. I now have one for my Kahr, and I am just as satisfied with it. It is very fast to draw from and I find it to be very comfortable. Another good thing about Blade-Tech holsters is that because they are plastic, sweat and oil can not soak through to your gun. Plus, the WHOLE length of your gun is protected. Very nice on a hot day.

Although I have never carried cross-draw, I'm not crazy about the idea. If you have to reach across your body to draw your gun, there is always the possibility of getting your arm pinned against you if an attacker is close enough to rush you. Carrying strong side hip at least gives you the opportunity to turn that side away from the attacker, keeping the gun out of reach and giving you a free arm to draw the gun.

Probably the fastest method to draw from in a car would be from a fanny pack. However, IMHO, fanny packs scream "GUN!" when worn by anyone under the age of 70. I don't know any guy who would wear one of these little belt purses simply because they were sensible and stylish. ;) Fanny packs either carry guns or wallets, either being attractive to an armed thief. I personally wouldn't carry a gun in something that could be the target of a robbery. I do however know several LEOs that choose to carry this way off duty.

My opinions are formed from my minimal, I repeat minimal, experience of carrying over the last couple of years. :) Alot of people on this board have MANY more years of carrying under their belt and I'm learning just like everyone else.

DWM

[This message has been edited by DWM (edited September 24, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back