Practical drills to run at the range??

HAMMER1DOWN

Hey ya'll. I am gettin ready to deploy and since the army deems it necessary to never get us range time I have taken it into my own hands to go to the range with my own firearms and try and run some practical drills. BUT, Being as the range I go to doesn't allow you to do any dynamic training (i.e. move and shoot) I was wondering if anyone had a good drill to run with a Rifle and pistol. I am open to anything cus any range time is better than nothing and if it can incorporate both weapons even better. thanks a ton,
Hammer

One pistol drill that I've found effective is...

The FAA Air Marshall Qualification Pistol drill. There is one drill action where you need to do a 180 Degree pivot, but I'm sure that you could simply eliminate that from your practice. The majority of the other drill actions are from low ready and only a couple are from concealment.

Here's the link, hope it helps.

http://www.gunlaws.com/pdf/Air%20Marshall%20Pistol%20Drill.pdf

Best,

Ambishot

Put gun on table/tray in front of you in the shooting Bay. Get a timer that will record shot times and total time. Press the start time button and when you hear the beep, pick up the gun and move from either the left or right side of the shooting bay and engage your target. Most target bay's are 4-6 feet across. Start to the left or right side and prepare to move to the other side. Most gun ranges will not let you draw from a holster and then fire at a target.

And don't forget this sticky thread, located at the top this forum.

Lots of good drills there, and again, our thanks to all, but especially to Jeff22 for the work he put into it.

One of my current favorites is called the Balance of Speed and Accuracy (BSA).

6 shots to first target, no time limit. Grouping is key.
6 shots to second target, only speed matters. Time it.
6 shots to third target, as fast as you can guarantee hits in the target area (like "A-zone" in USPSA target). Time it.

To increase the difficulty, add some movement. Start behind cover. Or add a reload in the middle. Or instead of shooting each phase at 1 target, make it 2 or 3. Get creative.

It gets you thinking, but just like every other good drill, you learn that you can't miss fast enough to win a shootout.

Just a post to say THANK YOU for your service, stay safe and return asap!

God bless America and those who protect her, at home and abroad!!

Thanks for all the drills, I am gonna try and get as much time on the range as I can before I leave so lets hope these help! Again thanks a ton!

Hammer

Back