PPU 38 Special ammo tumbling problem

I have four 357 Mag / 38 Special revolvers. I've found when I shoot PPU 38 Special SWC 158 gr | 10,2 g through my Chiappa Rhino 40DS and my Colt King Cobra 4" barrel most of the time the bullet tumbles leaving a 1" gash in the target instead of a nice, round hole. When I use my Smith and Wesson 686 4" barrel it leaves the gash maybe once in three or four shots and when I use my Ruger GP100 4" inch barrel it usually leaves the nice round hole. These bullets have a flat nose. Does anyone else have this experience?

My S&W M19 - 357 Mag/38 Special - snubby DA revolver, keyholes 146 grain Sellier & Bellot 38 Special wadcutters.

What is the twist rate of your 4 revolvers? The ammo may not be fast enough for a slow twist rate.

The GP100 is usually 1:19". I don't think the others are that much different. Sounds like the ammo is not delivering the velocity they claim it will.

Sounds like the paper target is tearing. What are you using as a backer? Weight of the paper used for the target also makes a difference

In addition to what others have suggested I would measure bullet diameter. Lead bullets for38/357 should be .358, undersized lead bullets can tumble. They will lead the barrel as well.

Thanks
Mike

I can get 158 grain lead semi-wadcutter bullets to tumble when I use too fast of a powder to push them above 850 fps.
I can also have those issues if the lube has been somehow damaged.

According to the specs - that PPU is rated at just over 900 fps. That's just a hair on the fast side for a standard pressure 158 grain lead.
Usually - they run 850 fps.

I'd try a different ammo - maybe something jacketed - and see if the problem follows the 158 grain bullet or not.

I had the same problem with my 327 magnum revolver. PPU, especially as revolver ammo, is absolutely the dirtiest ammo I've ever come across. Why do you think it's so cheap.You have to clean your revolver super clean "AFTER EVERY USE" & even that might not work. Spoke to 3 gun smiths & they all said the same thing. So I took my remaining boxes down to my local PD & gave it to them to dispose.

Sounds like the paper target is tearing. What are you using as a backer? Weight of the paper used for the target also makes a difference.

I'd bet five buck to a stale donut this is the problem.

"when I use my Ruger GP100 4" inch barrel it usually leaves the nice round hole."

This make me think the paper is not tearing. I think it would do it with all guns,

Mike

I use heavy duty paper plates. Since the Ruger and the Smith seem to handle it better I'll just use the PPU with them exclusively until it's all gone and keep those two barrels extra clean. Then no more PPU. Thanx for the input.

Back