PPU 308 Winchester Match ammo

turkeestalker

Spotted some of this on the shelf of my local Cabela's for $15.99 per box.
I recently picked up a Windham Hunter in 308 and haven't had much time to spend with it at the range. All that I've put through it is cheap 150gr. factory ammunition and it left a lot to be desired when it came to accuracy. Not thinking this is the fault of the rifle, but more the ammo and light bullets. My impression is that this rifle may be a candidate for hand loading to reach it's full potential like some others I own.

I have not set up my loading bench since my divorce. All of my goodies are packaged and packed just waiting to be played with once again, but life gets in the way by consuming our time and I've just never delved back in since.

So... anyone have any experience with this ammunition? When a Serbian manufacturer classifies an ammunition as a 'Match' grade ammunition is it to be believed? I only ask because of the price point, lets face it that is crazy cheap!

The ammunition is loaded with an HP BT 10.9g/168gr.
Though they don't say 10.9g of what powder.
No other info on the box.

Anyone have an opinion?

Can't speak to PPU "match grade" but have had very good results with PPU standard loads in my .243. Also can tell you the PPU brass is very good for reloading.

My advice, for $16 a box, buy it and try it........

PPU 8mm Match yields 2.5 inches or less out of my M24/47 Yugo Mauser and Irons. And that stuff is loaded "light" by Military Standards. It's great stuff.

The ammunition is loaded with an HP BT 10.9g/168gr.
Though they don't say 10.9g of what powder.
No other info on the box.

And I hate to say it, but 10.9 grams of powder would blow your gun up. That's the metric equivalent of the 168 grain bullet weight. Not the powder...

It shoot's pretty good, not Federal GM good, but an excellent value, shoots better than FMJ.
I shot a 1.75" 4 shot group @300 yards with it from my 700 SPS Varmint.

Good to hear, I was hoping to get out last weekend and try it out so that I could get back to the store to pick up more if it did well. Rainy Sunday and uncovered benches so maybe this weekend.
No worries at all Mosin-Marauder.:D Thanks for all the input folks.

Well over a year ago, I too bought a box each of the PRVI 308 match and 6.5x55 match ammo from a Cabelas.

I'd shot a fair amount of the Prvi standard 6.5x55 ammo and reused its brass for reloading. I thought the 6.5 match was more accurate than the standard Prvi. As to the 308 match, well it was decently accurate for me, but not as good as my own 308 reloads. Never have shot the standard Prvi 308 ammo. I wouldn't hesitate buying the match 308 again.

A couple of years ago, the owner of a gun store I frequent gave me two boxes of PPU .308 Match for evaluation, plus a box of GMM for comparison. (He knows I shoot handloads exclusively).

Test rifle was a Savage VLP, 26" heavy barrel. Firing was from a bench rest at 300 yards, with minimum of one minute between shots and five minutes between strings.

To the extent of my ability to test, the PPU Match performed just as well as the GMM, and nearly as well as my handloads. (One thing that no factory ammo can do is match a given rifle's particular chamber. My handloads are made to achieve 15 thou jump for this particular rifle.)

Someone or something (I can't remember what) once informed me that PPU .308 Match was loaded with 168 grain SMKs. I can't vouch for that specifically, though the slugs appeared to be exactly that.)

Darn it, just threw away the empty Prvi 308 match box a few days ago. Anyway, Grafs sells 168 gr 30 cal Match Prvi bullets and I use them in my 30-06 and .308 reloads with good success for accuracy.

Don't know about Prvi Match using Sierra MK, but do know the Prvi Match bullets are very similar to Nosler custom competition 168 gr bullets.....only really noticeable difference is the hollow point hole of the Nosler is a little thinner than the Prvi.

Back