PPK

Runner

Anyone heard of any problems with quality of the Walther (S&W) PPK/S? I had the sear break after less than 50 rounds. The catch that holds the hammer back in the single action position broke off and it then became a DAO PPK! S&W replaced the sear but I would expect more from a NIB weapon.

Some parts of the PPK/s, which is made in the U.S., were made by casting or MIM, and were not as good as the German milled parts. I have not looked to see if the sear is one of those parts. Still, the most common cause of the condition you describe is dropping the gun on the hammer while cocked, and that will ruin any type of sear.

Jim

It had never been dropped in my possession and had been special ordered so had not spent much time at the dealer. The dealer who sold it and sent it back mentioned a possible metal failure. I suspect a poor quality casting problem?? Do people actually drop weapons on the hammer? Does not sound like a good thing to do. Although I understand Massachusetts now has a test requirement such as that...

Runner, I had a PPK/S .380 made by Interarms. It was such a lemon that I sold it back to the store I bought it from after about a month.

It failed to fire often (which could have been the ammo). It jammed and misfed repeatedly. The decocker froze up so I couldn't decock the damn thing with a live round in the chamber. Sometimes when it did actually fire, the slide would not go all the way forward. And so on... I couldn't even get the first 100 rounds through it.

I know I could have sent it to Interarms and possibly had it fixed, but when the store offered me almost 85 percent of what I paid for it, I took the money and ran.

It reminded me a lot of a Porsche: Looks great in the driveway, but you'd better have a good mechanic.

Get a REAL PPK made in Germany or France.
The American made ones are worthless...
I have an extensive collection of the PP series
and the Interarms version are nothing but JUNK.

Curley,
I had the same problem as you with my NIB PPK. The thing wouldn't decock with a round in the chamber. I thought it was strange but maybe not. I traded it in on a compact USP within a month.

My Interarms PPK/S had problems with the ejector. I broke two on factory ammo in less then a week. I wanted the stainless steel, so I sent it in for repairs (it went to $&$ and not Interarms for repairs). Since then it has been fine, no problems, feeds hollow points all day long. I have been shooting reloads and factory with no problems.

My only complaint is the thing is SHARP! I have been "ppked" a few times on the web when I was relaxing the grip.

I used to carry it all the time, but now I have switched to an H&K P7PSP for general carry. Same capacity, 9mm over the 380 and no worries about reliablity. I still carry the PPK/S for dress occasions.

The US made PPK's are all cast not forged and they are no way as good as the german or french ppk's. I have a 380 ppk and the 32 ppk both are American and the 32 is hands down a better gun then the 380. I have replaced about five broken parts in the 380 and it still doesn't work right. I may send it back to Walther for a full refund. The 32 is a champ and I have about 2,000 round through the gun without a hicup. Well there is a solution but you may not want to buy it. S&W is contracting out with Walther USA and they are going to start making the new ppk in Maine, about June 2001. It will have a firing pin safety and a longer tang not to bite, the good part is it will be an all forged gun and not cast. The reason why the 380 is awfull is because these cast parts will not hold up at all, too many broken parts.
I also have a German PPK/s and what a difference in guns.

Back