PPK/S manufacturers

Adventurer_96

I expect to buy my PPK/S in a few months and I'm starting to do research. The only ones I've seen of late have been manufactured under license by Interarms in VA, although I did see one which I believe had Springfield something-or-other for markings. This is going to be a CCW so I want a high quality weapon, and I certainly feel that the design, reliability, and safety of the weapon fit the bill. Not to mention concealability and fit, since the ones which I've fired I've enjoyed shooting.

Is it impossible to find a reasonably priced German-manufactured gun, $300-$500 range? Any sources? If not, any suggestions on what licensed manufacturers are worthwhile.

I won't even ask about .32 or .380...

Thanks!

La perte des armes est la fin de la liberte.

Regarding the PPK/S, they are available in 32 and 380 (9mm kurz), not in larger calibers.
Without looking up anything, I would guess Interams had the license for importing Walthers since the sixties. As of a year or so ago, Walther USA in Mass. now has the license for the PPK and PPK/S, so the one you saw with Springfield is newer. And, those are the folks you'll be sending yours in for repair (part of the process of owning a PPK).
They are actually made in Alabama.
The PPK holds 6rds in 380, 7 in 32; and the PPK/S holds one more in each caliber.
Since 1968, due to the Gun Control Act, the PPK could no longer be imported to the US due to its size; hence the manufacture of the larger and acceptable PPK/S. PPK/Ss were still imported for several years, but both models have been manufacgtured in the US for decades.
The PPK typically is more expensive if German made than a PPK/S. It's rarer to find a German PPK.
I have a German PPK in 32 that is beautiful, and a new American made PPK that had to be returned to W.USA for repair after one box of ammo. Also have a Last Edition of the Walther PP which will remain unfired.
BTW, I have a 380 on my CCW; and it's the Sig P232 (and a Glock 27); and I trust the Sig more despite my fondness for Walthers.
Last, I heard Walther USA is going to be licensing a newer model of the PPK, possibly at a different location than Alabama.

I have a Interarms PPK. Never had any problems with it. I like it better than the PPK/S because I have small hands and can carry it more easily in an ankle holster. Not saying it's any better, but worth a look.

Also, while I love the PPK, you will probably have a lot of people tell you to look at some 9mm's and .40's like the KelTec and the Kahr beause you get more firepower in the same sized package. It's all preference. I have a KelTec, but still carry my PPK sometimes.

Anyway, good places to look for the German ones (or anything else) is http://www.gunbroker.com, http://www.auctionarms.com, and http://www.gunsamerica.com.

Good luck.

If you are opposed to the U.S. made version or prefer blue over stainless, there are both German and French PPK/S's available in the price range you are looking at. All the European guns are really 'made' in France, the German marked guns (Walther) were assembled, polished, and proofed in West Germany, the others are marked Manhurin and were assembled in France where the parts were made.

The Interarms PPK/S in .380 was my first carry pistol. It's great for concealing, not to mention beautiful to look at. Unfortunately, mine was a lemon and it's extractor cracked, rendering my pistol useless one day after I got my carry permit. Strange my brother had the exact problem when he had owned one. Hopefully your pistol will not experience the same problem.

Currently, the PPK/S is only being made in Ulm, Germany. There is no Walther production in the US at present, although Umarex (parent company of Walther) is in negotiations with an unnamed manufacturer.

If the slide is marked "Springfield MA" then it's actually an odd little bit of history. Walther's long-time importer was Interarms of Alexandria VA (their original importer was Thalson, of San Francisco). When Interarms went out of business on the death of its founder, Walther had Smith & Wesson act as their importer for a nine-month period while going through the process of setting up Walther USA.

The US-made pistols were made in Gadsden, AL, by Ranger Manufacturing. Their quality control sometimes was lacking, but they also produced first-rate products when they put their minds to it. Ranger is out of business now.

French production of Walther products was ended in 1986. German-made parts were never sent to France, although French-made parts were sent to Ulm for a few years ('83-'86) for the PP and PPK series. Since '86, all Walther production has been in Ulm (Umarex canceled all production contracts on acquisition of the Walther brand).

Most of the old Interarms inventory went to Champion Firearms down in College Station, TX. They are still selling off the PPK and PPK/S inventory. For some odd reason, most of the P5 inventory went to Bachman Gun and Pawn, where they were being sold at fire-sale prices (I paid a mere $475 for mine last summer).

I've carried a pre-war PPK in .32ACP for some time now. All I did to refurbish it was to install a "service pack" of new springs from Wolff Gun Springs. It is a reliable, accurate and easy-to-conceal package.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

Ditto runt_of_the_litter's extractor experience with my wife's PPK last summer, after <250 rds. We sold the thing immediately, and I would not even consider buying another US made one, the positive experience of many others here not withstanding. My wife loved how it handled and shot, tho, and we will be replacing it with a German one sometime in the future.

BTW, was it not the US made PPK (or PPK/S) that the KY state police dumped in favor Glocks because of breakage problems?

Treeprof, you read my mind!

I came perilously close to buying a KY state police trade-in PPK/S at a show in GA a few months back, but got my S&W Model 65 instead. I held off on the KY state police gun for the reasons I stated earlier, that I wanted to do some research before buying a CCW with which I'll essentially be trusting my life.

It sounds as if I'll be searching for a German or French one when the time comes. Too bad I have a fondness for stainless...

my interarms ppk/s

is finicky with what you feed it. So far, EVERY time I've taken it to the range I've had at least one stovepipe. I don't limpwrist anymore either, same problem. Keep it clean, keep the cleaning intervals short, and find ammo that it likes.

So far it doesn't like the Winchesters in the white boxes (which I have been using forever). Somebody on TFL pointed out that the Winchesters are a weaker load and that could be m problem. I just picked up some Browning Courts that I plan to try out this weekend (keeping fingers crossed that it'll like it). It's a pretty gun to look at, but the recoil is a tad snappy.

Don't buy an American Walther PPK in 380 you will regret it. I own a German, American in 32, and a 380 American. The 380 American went back to Walther so many times I got a full refund. I have an a firend who's son works at S&W in the repair dept. He said that the cast american 380 walthers are junk. They have so many parts breakages and failures to feed that they can keep up. He said that the 32 auto caliber walthers are rarely here for repair but the 380's are terrible. He also told me that S&W will be building the new walther PPK's this summer "ALL Forged" with a newer process. I would wait if you want a 380 or buy the ppk in 32. My 32 is a great pistol and shoots excellent, I would not trade this for anything. My advice would be if you want a 380 either buy a German, or French Manuhin or just buy a East German Makarov for $175.00, you won't believe the quality for the money. This is a better pistol than the American junk out there. It's you choice but if you buy the 380 keep the return address handy you will need it.

Adventure_96. - Try calling Earl's Repair Service in MA at 978-851-2656; it's an oufit much more impressive than the name implies. In addition to the new pistols listed on their website (www.waltherusa.net), they have used models on hand and will give you an honest description of what's in stock over the phone. BTW, they will not repair US made Walthers because, as they told me when I called abt fixing my wife's, "they're not worth repairing".

Any interest in a PPK clone? Both Bersa and FEG have clones which are generally well regarded. If you do a search you'll find lots of comments.

I own an older FEG APK Mk II which is all-steel. Their newer SMC-380 is alloy, and much lighter. I believe the Bersa is polymer, and also a nice light pistol.

PPK/S

I've got a PPK/S purchased in 1976 at a gun show. It has the Interarms insignia but also the Walther banner. Was this a gun manufactured in Germany by Walther and imported by Interarms or manufactured in the U.S. by a Walther Licensee and distributed by Interarms. I have never had a malfunction with it. Thanks in advance for the info.

"All the European guns are really 'made' in France"

Not really. The Manhurin guns were made in France for a few years after the war, but then production went back to Germany around 1986. Current guns are not manufactured in any by Manhurin.

Thanks again for the info.

As far as clones go, I have a Russian commercial Makarov which suits that purpose for the time being. Interestingly enough, the fellow at the gun shop down the street tried to steer me away from the PPK/S to a lower end Bersa I believe, maybe he was telling the truth.

As far as the .32 vs .380 debate, which is covered in another post, I'm leaning more towards a .32 simply because I don't have a pistol in that caliber yet, and everybody knows you should NEVER buy more than one weapon in a caliber, right?

Right???

Maybe I'll have to stop by Earl's the next time I'm home in Massachusetts, thanks for the tip!

Back