PPCT telescopic baton

tony.s

I've asked around about this before, but since it's been a while I thought I'd try again... ;)

A little background: in Finland the thought of a mere mortal actually defending him-/herself seems to discust local authorities to no end. Getting a carry permit for a firearm is impossible, pepper spray permits are usually not given to people who don't need to carry one as part of their job (and even then they can only carry the spray at work), stun guns and such are illegal... Telescopic batons, usually, also fall into the "illegal to carry" category - Finnish law prohibits carrying a striking weapon made of metal pipe or such.

Note the word metal... While there are those who say the spirit of the law makes telescopic batons illegal too, AFAIK there are no court rulings on the matter. They are sold as legal, that much is certain. (So while they might not be exactly legal, they aren't illegal either. Guess we won't know for sure before this matter is settled in a court of law.) And I am starting to feel it to be better to take my chances with the interpretations of the law than to go about unarmed...

The best non-metallic telescoping baton I have been able to found is a PPCT baton: http://www.finnrappel.fi/ppct.htm. Please note that the metallic tip will not be sold.

So here comes the question: does anyone have experience of this weapon? Can you perhaps tell me how durable and easy to open would you feel the baton to be without the metal tip? (I do not intend to do impact training with it, but opening & closing drills are definitely called for...)

(BTW, if you have good tips in concealing this thing (know a good holder or something like that) I won't mind if you tell me too... ;) Like I said, while I am not planning to break the law, it's better to keep a low profile. Kinda like with pocket knives. The law says "for acceptable purposes", but would you really want to argue about it with every policeman you meet?)

How's the weight?

One of my suppliers carried aluminum as oppposed to steel batons for a while. The mass was insufficient for good extension.

You'll likely find the same thing with plastic.

Now, do they outlaw "metal knuckles?" What about PLASTIC knuckles? Cut some polycarbonate to shape.

OR carry a Maglite or similar heavy flashlight. Great baton, gives light, hard to rule against.

OR carry a mix of your favorite hot peppers in grain alcohol in a spray bottle to "spice things up."

OR carry a gentleman's cane or walking stick.

OR a good locking pocketknife, well-smeared with tape residue and other gunk from "opening boxes."

If you think you'll have 5 seconds to yank it from your pocket and strike, try a safety flare. Bright, distracting, drips molten sulfur and burns painfully. And just think of the other guy!;)

I carry non-metallic baton sometimes for work. I think it's made here, but I am not sure. Material is black nylon, three pieces, length closed 24 cm, extended 56 cm, diameter 3,6 cm.

I have had it about 4 years without problems. My opinion is that if you will break you will cause serious harm for the object as well.

Hey johelin! Is there a text "PPCT PHOENIX BATON" on the grip? If so, we have the same baton. :)

As you might have guessed, I went ahead and bought the baton. And while it is indeed light weight, personally I have no problems with extending it, or anything else for that matter. Seems well made.

Haven't quite settled on the carry method yet. I'd prefer to tuck in my shirt, so so far I've just been carrying it in my pocket. Works, but can cause a bit of a problem with printing, at least with some trousers... :p

As for the other suggestions, a knife or few I already carry. But I would prefer not to use a knife on anyone - there is the possibility of things getting real messy and nasty, real fast... Toting a Maglight 24/7 doesn't sound too feasible. You're bound to get strange looks from people, especially during summer months... ;) Plus I dislike the Maglight as an impact weapon. (Actually I dislike them as flashlights too, preferring UK's, LED lights and other more durable lights.) Too heavy and clumsy. Plastic knuckles, hmm... If I could find 'em I'd be willing to give them a try. And speaking of canes... Yeah, I've started to look into them as well. There are a few problems though: First, I have zero training with sticks that long (I've done some FMA but only trained with shorter sticks, so I'm more "at home" with the baton). Second, good canes cost money. Not perhaps a lot of money, from most people's perspective, but as a student I can buy only a certain amount of toys... ;) Improvised defensive sprays, well, I do carry car lock defrost, but I have no idea of the effect it'll have on a human. So while it might come in handy I'd rather not trust something like that, at least not exclusively.

Oh yeah, and of course since I work as a security guard, I can use the baton in my work as well. Don't think I remembered to mention that in my original post. More "bang for the buck". :)

I will keep looking at new self-defense tools for... well, the rest of my life probably. :D What can I say? Everyone needs a hobby... ;) So thanks for the tips.

Terve,

There is NOT a single mark in the baton. No manufacturer, etc.

I bought it from the former Ultramatic (nowadays Gun Corner), price was then 400 FIM (50-60 USD).

I usually carry it in the car door pouch, where it is easily accessible. I also made a belt holder for it from rubber fabric. It rides high and is therefore easily concealed.

Moikka! :)

Funny, I don't recall Gun Corner ever selling stuff like that... Really must have been some time ago! :)

Anyways, we have different batons. Mine's a full centimeter smaller in diameter. Still, it'd be interesting to see whatkind of a rig you have made for your baton. I have an Eagle open-top holder (the one that holds the baton at an angle) but it prints too much.

Back