Powermaster chokes

Bullmoose

I have heard great things about the Powermaster Regular Long Range tube with buckshot. They say do not use slugs in the Super tube and no sabot, solids or Brenneke in the RLR tube. Talking to one of the girls at Powermaster and was told that using Foster type slugs was ok, but she seemed to indicate that it was only for occasional use and with a clean tube. Anyone out there with extensive use of the Powermaster and slugs that might enlighten me about this? I am getting started in Tactical Shotgun shooting and need to be able to shoot extended numbers of round using slugs and buck as the course requires. Thanks, Jim

No experience with the Powermasters,Jim, but...

I'd be extremely hesitant to put any slug through any tube with more than a Modified constriction. This especially applies to the solid ones like Brennekes and the sabots. Bbls may bulge.Slug groups from tighter chokes also are rarely as good as the same load/gun with an open choke.

I'd stick with a standard type choke, and get a decent smith to do the forcing cone. This inexpensive step will tighten patterns about one increment,ie a Skeet choke will give IC patterns with a longer forcing cone with its gentler angle of contact.

Shotguns tend to be individuals when it comes to mods, but this one seems to be nigh universal in benefits. Better patterns,less kick, lower pressures.

Kick from lots of heavy loads in a light shotgun are not much fun, and oft harder to hit with. There's lots of old threads here about how to reduce kick, a bit of research can give you some assistance, IMO....

Back