Power belts bullets

Wendyj

Am I the only one that can't get better than 3 inch groups with power belts in my encore. I haven't had one in quite a few years but I shot clover leafs with sabots out my old one. They were harder to load but the power belt accuracy really sucks in my rifle.

I've often seen results that were similar, that they just don't do that well. But then I've seen a few that say they get very good results. Ultimately I'm guessing it has a lot to do with how well they seal the bore. Maybe some of those had the deeper RB grooves and they just couldn't really seal it well. Who knows.

Thor bullets supposedly do quite well. I've not read of much with the Hornady bullets. I've used Lee REALs that showed great results at 50 yds, but haven't tested them further, but did buy a mold after that. Nearly touching.

I'd be happy if it would stay 3. Usually 6 inch. I can get 3 inch if I clean the barrel before and after every shot. That's ok for hunting but cleaning that often at the bench is a pain. I think I'm going to buy some slick glide sabots and some .451 hollow points and put in them and see what it does. Seems my best groups were TC hollow points out of my old contender. They would all touch and make a big hole. I've got about a hundred factory hollow point bullets for a 45 long colt that I don't own anymore. Maybe I could pull a few of those and try them out first.

well, if youre not cleaning between shots with pyrodex or t7, that could explain the accuracy issues. I'd suggest trying blackhorn209, its a whole new animal and doesnt require cleaning between shots.

Like I told you in another thread. I have never seen any Encore shoot Powerbelt bullets worth a crap. Switch to Hornady SSTs (same exact bullet as the T/C Shockwaver but with a red tip and a lower price - Hornady makes the Shockwave for T/C with the custom yellow color).

I don't have any choice but clean between shots. Can't hardly seat a bullet on 2 me try. Not worth it not to clean. Doyle, I picked up 20 pack of Hornady SSTs today. $13.00 for 20 instead of $24.00 for 15 power belts.

Other than using Blackhorn209, your accuracy will suffer if you don't clean between each shot....whether at the bench or in the field. That's the nature of muzzle loaders. They're not for everyone if patience is in short supply. I've had very good accuracy with PowerBelts and extremely poor performance on game. I quit using them and went back to sabots and jacketed bullets. I don't think you're losing out on anything not using PowerBelts. If you experiment a bit you'll find a combination of sabot and bullet that will work well in your gun. Most of the Encores will shoot the Hornady sabot an bullet quite well and they're easy to find in just about any gun store or big box store.

I got the sabots. I read blackhorns site and I sure do like the option to weigh powder and check for volume. I've called every store within 50 miles and none in stock. Muzzleloader season starts tomorrow so I'm sure the powder has sold like hot cakes. Great reviews on the powder. I'm stuck with either pellets or pyrodex for tomorrow.

Back