Powder options for 7-30 waters

joeanybody

I'm getting ready to start reloading for 7-30 water. I will be receiving a T/c contender in Jan. Can anybody recommend a good powder for this cartridge. I have a couple in stock imr 4198,h4895,cfe223,blc2,cfeblk,lt-30.Dont know if any of those will work. Willing to buy a good one tho.i havent checked books yet. Will look at that after I decide on powder type. Will be shooting hornady bullets.
Thx

I'm getting ready to start reloading for 7-30 water. I will be receiving a T/c contender in Jan. Can anybody recommend a good powder for this cartridge. I have a couple in stock imr 4198,h4895,cfe223,blc2,cfeblk,lt-30.Dont know if any of those will work. Willing to buy a good one tho.i havent checked books yet. Will look at that after I decide on powder type. Will be shooting hornady bullets.
Thx
I tried a lot of powders when I got my TC in 7-30 in the '90s. Settled on W748 as the best for loads in the 120gr-140gr area.

Mine was sub MOA with Barnes original X-Line FB in 120 gr. When they discontinued that bullet for a BT It never shot that as well.

Also shot the Sierra 139gr SSP into about 1 MOA and i killed a lot of deer with each.

I enjoyed hunting with the TC more so than my Savage 11 in .308 Win.

Varget!!!! I have two loads for my 14" T/C Contender with 120 or 139 grain bullets.

100 yard target with Nosler 120gr BT and Varget. The Hornady 139 SST's shoot equally well. Those are 1" squares and the T/C in 7-30 Waters will shoot that all day!

bNMKL0t.jpg

YwuRuAa.jpg

Thx guys.
Steve In pa i picked up a box of 139gr hornady sst today. I am glad to hear they worked good in yours. Sometimes bullets can make a difference even in the same manufacturer.

I've decided to try blc/2,Varget,and win 748

My best loads have been with RL15 and Hornady 120 gr SSP. Unfortunately Hornady discontinued that bullet and the Nosler 120 gr BT makes a very good substitute - not as accurate but close.

Every barrel is different, you might get lucky with your load.

The 7-30 Waters in the Contender

It is my claim that more shooters are enlisted to the ranks of contender shooters by the use of the 7-30 Waters than an other cartridge.
With Ken Waters' development there is very little to improve upon and the performance of the contender with that cartridge is surprising to most people even today!
Off the bench, a set of legs really gives you some confidence.
Here's a setup that won't let you down

Attachments

• 7-30 waters w target med.jpg
    7-30 waters w target med.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 202
Thx
I have two 7-30 contender barrels. They both detest the other ones pet load. Varget shoots good in most 7-30 contenders and lever rifles.

Last edited:
Back