Powder measures and 2400

Grouser1865

Inactive
My Redding BR3 (I think. It's very old) with the pistol insert is just about maxed out with this powder and with the rifle insert does not give the precision since it is at the very low end of the scale. I am ok picking up a new measure; I certainly got my money's worth out of this one. Any suggestions for other models that throw the 16-22 grains with good precision? I do NOT want to intentionally throw the handle twice for each case. I do not want to use my 550 for this cartridge so I want a stand alone measure.
Thanks all.

I have a Redding, my fourth powder measure since I started loading over fifty years ago. So far it's been the most accurate, reliable measure I've owned and I use a lot of 2400 powder. I'm not sure what you mean when you say the rifle and pistol inserts effect accuracy. They pretty much just fit the case mouth and don't have anything to do with the accuracy of the powder drop. How much variation are you getting with the rifle insert?

I've tried a lot of powder measures in the last 30+ years and am currently using a Lee Deluxe Perfect Powder Measure. Works great with stick powders, and once you've done a load work up you can use one of there replacement drums and just set it up for that load and no more fiddling around for that load. A lot people rag on Lee equipment, but a lot of there stuff works very well, and the Deluxe Perfect Powder measure is one of the good ones.

I have no hangups with Lee. I use their push-through sizing dies constantly now that I only tumble lube.

NoSecondBest - I am referring to the Pistol and Rifle inserts that fit in to the drum which give you measurement ranges best suited for those two ranges of powder charges. Maybe yours is not removable? Not sure which model you have either. The BR-3 going back at least the twenty years that I've owned it, gives you the option to use either a pistol or rifle drum insert 9 I think they call it a stem?).

Mine's a Redding Match-Grade #3-BR. I got it about five years ago. It's like the original Model #3 with some modifications which gives it the title "Match-Grade". I'm not sure what the differences are between mine and the original, but I have no inserts with it. It throws powder better than any of my previous RCBS or Hordady measures....not knocking them, they have newer models than the ones I started with.

Lyman powder 2000 with the hand trickler

Dump in below your desired grains with any powder dispense, fine tune it with the hand trickler .

I like my BR-30 a lot. The hemispherically tipped metering chamber spindle helps maintain uniform charge density with any powder that isn't spherical (spherical packing is uniform in any measure). Grains that can bridge corners are the ones that benefit from the "hemi". That includes sticks and flakes.

I have used an RCBS Uniflo for 2400, about 22 in the .44 and 14 in the 357 best I can remember it was accurate.

I have an old RCBS DUO Measure that works great for both rifle and pistol cartridges but since I mainly load cast lead in both my rifle and pistol cartridges I usually find that my RCBS Little Dandy with the 10 different rotors I have covers about 95% of all my reloading.

The rotors are predrilled to dispense a given amount of powder, I have found that none throw anything larger than what the rotor list with most being dead on or a tenth less depending on your technique. The largest rotor for 2400 throws 21.8 grs. MAX.

There is a guy that goes by Bailey Boat that sell an adjustable rotor that can be adjusted through the bottom of the measure if you don't want to purchase a bunch of different size rotors.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/member.php?u=139698

I have been using an RCBS Uniflow since the 90's. Throws accurate charges of 2400, H110, and Titegroup, regardless of charge weights.

Back