Powder help

Danb6177

Ok so i got my press and supplies and ready to roll. Time for bullets-primers-powder.
Where you all get powder? Every powder I look up is unavailable. Every sight not available. Im trying to start off going by the specs in Lymans handbook. But all the powders listed are not available. Any suggestions? I was looking specifically for bullseye or unique. I found bullseye 1 pound for 100$ from midsouth. Is this right? If it is then it is Ill pay but dont wanna get scammed. It seems alot to pay.
I looked at the post here on this topic, some of those sites dont even exist anymore

I would recommend looking for Hodgdon gunpowders, look at Powder Valley see if they have anything that you want. I have read and heard it secondhand from other shooters that Alliant powders are on shortage or back order due to the war effort in Ukraine and redirecting of supplies to make gunpowder for cannons. Alliant supplies some military contract powders.

Yes, let's start with a list of cartridges you plan to reload. W231 is a general pistol powder that will work in most handgun cartridges and 4895 is a very versatile rifle powder but not for every application. The best place to get powder is probably a local gun shop or gun show. About $50/ pound seems like a typical rate but $30 is more reasonable per pound. Accurate powders work well too so let us know what powder is available in your area.

Yes, let's start with a list of cartridges you plan to reload. W231 is a general pistol powder that will work in most handgun cartridges and 4895 is a very versatile rifle powder but not for every application. The best place to get powder is probably a local gun shop or gun show. About $50/ pound seems like a typical rate but $30 is more reasonable per pound. Accurate powders work well too so let us know what powder is available in your area.
Loading 38 special jacketed HP. I do see 231 on the specs list. I’ll look for that today. I think there are some stores around here I can try. Thank you for clarifying the pricing. 100 seemed hella high. But it had a hazard fee included. I think the best idea is to go locally

Welcome to the madness Danb. Finding a powder close to our favorites when they disappear is something we've all had to do. Find you a burn rate chart, included in most reloading manuals. But beware. These charts are inexact; you can never assume a one-for-one replacement. From my most recent book (Speer 15), between Bullseye and Unique:

Alliant - American Select, Sport Pistol, Green Dot and 20/28.

Accurate - No.5

Ramshot - Silhouette

Hodgdon - International, Universal

There are more, but you get the picture. Personally, I've only used Unique and Accurate No. 5. And just because they fall within that range does not necessarily mean they are suitable for your loads. You need to find some data. We long term inmates of this asylum have numerous manuals, and of course, the internet is your friend.

Finally, I'll echo what has been said. We can be of more help if you tell us what you're loading.

PS: You answered while I was typing. For 38 Special JHP, I load Power Pistol. I use HP-38/W231 for HBWC target loads.

Welcome to the madness Danb. Finding a powder close to our favorites when they disappear is something we've all had to do. Find you a burn rate chart, included in most reloading manuals. But beware. These charts are inexact; you can never assume a one-for-one replacement. From my most recent book (Speer 15), between Bullseye and Unique:

Alliant - American Select, Sport Pistol, Green Dot and 20/28.

Accurate - No.5

Ramshot - Silhouette

Hodgdon - International, Universal

There are more, but you get the picture. Personally, I've only used Unique and Accurate No. 5. And just because they fall within that range does not necessarily mean they are suitable for your loads. You need to find some data. We long term inmates of this asylum have numerous manuals, and of course, the internet is your friend.

Finally, I'll echo what has been said. We can be of more help if you tell us what you're loading.

PS: You answered while I was typing. For 38 Special JHP, I load Power Pistol. I use HP-38/W231 for HBWC target loads.
Thanks for reply. Absolutely going by a manual. I’m using the Lyman’s 51st. Looks like it would be smarter for me to find a local place. Bass pro shops seems to carry all this. And there is one an hour or so away from me. I didn’t take into consideration the hazardous fees buying online. Bass pro shops has alot of Hodgdon powder. Hopefully they have one that’s in the Lyman manual specs. I see the 231 is in stock online. I’ll have to go there and see if it’s in store.
Thanks for the help! Appreciate all the advice !

BE-86 is a good substitute for Unique. A variety of Vihtavuori powders will also do well. Check the manuals online for data.

If you are loading 38 spcl, confirm they have a load, then go buy cfepistol. It is the most available powder right now, it seems. Price is $30-$40 per. AA#5, titegroup are also around. Small pistol primers are around.

Good luck.

For 38spl, w231/hp-38 are my go to for 38spl.
I have also made some stout loads with power pistol, only downside is the bright fireball. From what i understand be-86 is power pistol with a flash imhibitor added to the powder.
Hodgdon clays makes some nice soft shooting loadd. And unique is a classic.

I find Cabelas very high in their pricing. Ammoseek (or some such)
search sites will take you to the lowest prices for primers, powder
and ammo. A lot of places you never hear of will have stock.

I found a place a half hour away. Like a local guy that sells all reloading stuff. I’m gonna try there tomorrow if he’s open. Funny reviews on this place also. Seems the owner is a bit grumpy lol. It’s called harbor reloading & supply. I’m very happy I made this post. I’ll know way more about what I’m looking for now!

Ok, now that you are clear about Caliber 38 special as your goal I say, W231 or HP38 which is the same powder under Hodgdon's label and works fine for full power or target loads in that caliber and will serve well for other calibers in the future like 45 ACP. If those two powders are not available, something like AA#2 is going to be similar to bullseye. 700x is also similar and a sold performer. Get to know your burn rate chart. It will help you pick possible substitute powders for which you should be able to get load data for 38 special. 231 is about the slowest that works well in that chambering. I would not use HS6, 800x, True blue etc in 38 loads. If you were going to load 357 mag then powders as slow as H110 would be on the menu but not powder faster than 231 in general.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...F&selectedIndex=0&itb=0&ajaxhist=0&ajaxserp=0

I buy all my primers and powder at a local gun show at the county fairgrounds. They have a show 4 times a year. I've never had a problem finding the powders I use. Primers are at times hit and miss, but when they are available I stock up enough to cover myself. Bullets I buy on line from who ever has them cheapest. ammoseek.com will help you find the lowest prices on bullets.

danb6177: one other thing i didn't see mentioned, well two things. 1 powder valley has enough turn over that you need to check there daily it might be out of stock one day in stock the next and out again the next...

2 is that for just one pound the hazmat and shipping make it 100/lbs but if you order four different powders at one time that makes them (assuming $50 ea.) $62.50/lbs if i order online i try to get at least enough to make it worth ordering.

Back