Powder fouling of ammo in magazine

Mobuck

when using suppressor on DI AR??
Is there less powder gas/fouling blown into the magazine if the dust cover is left open?

I'm using a suppressed AR for coyote calling and prefer to keep the dust cover closed (keeping snow, dirt, and debris out is it's purpose). The result is some seriously dirty ammo in the magazine. While it hasn't caused functioning problems, if the dust cover is making things worse, I might consider leaving it open.
This is a simple question so please don't muddy the water with piston conversion suggestions. I'd rather empty my mag and clean my remaining ammo than tinker with a piston.

"It'll always blow into the mag suppressed. Back pressure increases with a suppressor."

That's what I figured but doesn't hurt to ask.

Sure doesn't. If you want to dink around with an adjustable gas block, some report less fouling dialing down the gas but you'll need to get comfortable with the reliability in that config as well.

I'm running at the minimum gas I'm comfortable with. Brass is landing in the 5 o'clock area but bolt lock on empty is 100%.

It's not just fouling in the magazine and ammo you gotta watch for.

Here's the carbon fouling on one of my guns. It's a host for one of my RDIAS, and I kind of consider my hosts disposable. I discovered this fouling when I tried to take off a silencer and found that it was stuck on the mount, hard. I had one of my maids scrub it off with a copper brush and pick, but it took her a good hour and a half. It was baked onto the mount.

Back