Powder for 30-30. 3006. And 308

Lhigginsqrb

I just got 1000 large rifle primers. I’ve been able to find about 200 each of the above mentioned rounds. I wanted to have more on hand so I don’t have to worry about shooting them up.

My idea was since these are three of my most used rounds, A lot of the components are interchangeable. The slugs and primers seem to be completely interchangeable. What I’m running into is that the powders seem to be cartridge specific. I found Hogden leverevolutuon for my 30-30. Can this be used in 3006? I’m not finding load data for it. If not can you guys suggest some decent powders for 3006 and 308? Powder is available but some brands are scarce.

I’m interested in a variety of loadings. Match rounds maybe. Standard rounds comparable to budget Remington rounds. I usually shoot at 100 yards and these do just fine for that. Then the biggest thing I’m looking for is what I’ve heard called a “cowboy” round. Basically less powder and possibly a smaller slug(100 grains maybe). I’m looking to make these to save a little on cost and to not beat up my shoulder so bad. 50 3006 in a day is pushing it.

You CAN make one powder work with all 3, but you'll end up with sub par performance with at least one, maybe 2 of them if you do. I've never been a fan of trying to do this. It doesn't cost any more to buy 3 cannisters of 3 different powders than 3 of the same.

In fact you will get the best results using a different powder with 150 gr bullets than with 180 gr bullets just in 30-06.

But some to look at:

IMR4064
IMR3031
IMR4895
Varget

You can look at Trail Boss for the light loads. Hodgdon's instructions for making light loads from it are here. Vihtavuori's NC32 "Tin Star" powder is another possibility.

If you want light loads without changing powders, then H4895 would be the one that comes to mind, as it can be downloaded a fair amount and will work in all three cartridges. As jmr40 says, it won't maximize velocity with any of them, but it will do a fair job with all.

Very much appreciated jmr40. I figured about what you just said to be the case. The issue right now is finding the powder in stock.

I’d be more less comfortable with an under performing round for the cowboy rounds. With those I’m mostly trying to put lead down range without spending a fortune. I’ve found these rounds anywhere from 1.20 to 2.00 each. The cheaper stuff I’ve had to drive around for to find which leads to a hidden cost for mileage. I’m roughly estimating a hunting quality reload at 60-80 cents. But I think I can do better on the cowboy rounds.

I’m still considering hardened lead for those It just might not be worth it. For a standard round I got 20 cents in a primer, 20 in powder, then the heads vary. The small savings on using lead isn’t necessarily worth dealing with the extra fouling for me.

Uncke nick I’ll check that out thank you. I’ve been interested in messing with these for years.

Last edited:
It’s bad. I just got fed up driving around looking. Figured the money I spent on gas was more than the difference. I bought off gunbroker at more or less the going rate.

IMR 4064 or 4895 will sing in both .30-06 and .308.

4064 will work in .30-30, but from what I've heard isn't the best, same with 4895.

Most people I know who load .30-30 with IMR powders wear by 3031.

if you can find any of those powders that's cool......but he has lever revolution.
load data for that would be the correct answer.....just say'n.
these threads remind me of my wife and her Irish story telling....always going off in another direction......

Go to both Alliant and Hodgdon websites where they have free reloading data and see what will work for what you have.

I ran the 30-30 in QuickLOAD and it looks like LVR is just too slow for it. With a 170-grain flat point, I can get 3031 and both of the 4895s to the same peak pressure. 3031 does best with efficiency (98% burned in a 24" barrel) and the 4895s are only burning about 92% so they use up more powder, but will get there. LVR, though, can't reach the same peak pressure without a lot of compressing, and even then only burns about 82%-86% in the bore and is still over 100 fps slower than any of the other powders mentioned. Mind you, this is only a computer simulation, but it is usually pretty good making these kinds of comparisons.

Want a good "all around" medium burn powder that you actually stand a chance at finding in stock at the LGS level ? That would be Win 748. Not the ideal perfect choice but a great powder that meters like a dream.

I've used H4895 in all three of the mentioned cartridges as well as the 35 Remington, for about 20 years with perfect satisfaction.

Back