Powder coating for Glock 20

Wendyj

I had a friend send me a 100 lubed .402 sized bullets to try in my factory Glock barrel. Leaded like crazy after about 10 rounds. BHN around 20.
I took and boiled lube off. Soaked in mineral spirits and used harbor freight red shake and bake. One full mag and barrel sparkles like new. The powder coat makes my bullet .405. Shot ok but haven't checked for accuracy at range yet. Just leading. Gun slugs around .4058. Should I size the powder coat back to .402? Hate to buy a $275.00 KKM barrel if powder coating will do the trick. Wanting to order a 200 grain mold from Al at Noe but am questioning the above. His mold will probably cast around 403-404.

The 0.402 sized bullets is what leaded your barrel. According to your measurements, they were 0.004" undersized.

To me, if you have a 0.4058" barrel, it doesn't make good sense to under size to 0.402".

Ok, I will amend my response.

Resizing to 0.402-0.403" should work well for you.

The lubed lead bullets would have worked better sized to 0.403" at a minimum.

Also, a bullet can be too hard. I have never shot anything harder than 18 BHN and that was a long time ago.

Last edited:
They were given to me by a friend lubed. He had already sized 402 for his 40. I powder coated because they were leading factory Glock barrel bad.

I would say you done good. Resolved the lead problem and got a few fun gun bullets to use for whatever you desire to do with them.

I’ve had great luck with powder coat in my glocks. People will yell at you that “everyone knows that leadbullets will blow up glocks”, ignore it. And like you said, bright shiny bore afterwards.

Powder coat in my factory barrel no lead. Lubed and sized leaded pretty bad. I'm sure pc is the way to go for the 10 mm

My glock 35 does tend to lead up, but my custom JHPs remove any leading in my factory barrel after 2 shots - so no problem. I do hope that the powder coating eliminates the leading altogether - we'll find out this winter......

My JHP are 9mm brass swaged with a core to become a .40 JHP - I suspect it's the ejector rim that does the fine job removing all the leading.

Back